Glassware cleanning and wastes treatment for LC

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I would like to know if there are some specifications for glassware cleanning for chromatography, things like the right soap or the concentrations for soak solutions. Also I will be gratefull if someone recommends me any literature about procedures to treat discards of chromatography. Thank you so much.
If you're talking about glass bottles for mobile phases, in my opinion/experience it's best to avoid using soap/detergents/.. Just rinse them with HPLC grade+ water and methanol, or whatever you use as mobile phase without buffer.

Waste should be treated as organic solvent waste (depending on the water content).
Thank You. But I meant by glassware to flasks, beakers, pippettes, vials, etc., everything used to prepare standard solutions and samples as well.-
We used a commercial lab glassware washer that had a deionized water wash and rinse. Our samples were frequently soaps and detergents anyway, so that would get washed out.
iperdomo wrote:
Thank You. But I meant by glassware to flasks, beakers, pippettes, vials, etc., everything used to prepare standard solutions and samples as well.-

We use disposable items as much as possible, such as pipettes and vials. Volumetric glassware can not be heated more than needed to dry it so those will need to be cleaned with solvent or water with as little detergent as possible. Anything else like beakers and mobile phase bottle, if they are Pyrex or similar material can be baked in a muffle furnace at 450C which will remove most any contamination that might be present, and it leaves them cleaner than I have found anything else can. Just make sure they are not the plastic coated ones, that makes a mess :)
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
5 posts Page 1 of 1