RI detector - flow gradient

Discussions about IC and related topics

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello, guys

it's known that we should never use gradient elution when the detector is a RID. But can I do a flow gradient with this detector?
My experience with RI detectors is that they are somewhat flow sensitive. The only way to find out if that's problematic in your case is to try it. That said, I'm not a big fan of flow programming in any case.
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
    Answer to OP's question. NO. Adjusting the flow rate will change the backpressure , solvent compressibility and perhaps the piston stroke volume (stroke volume is related to flow rate setting) too, which may change the RID signal. A thermal change may also occur (heating or cooling). Changes require a gradual re-equilibration to stabilize (TIME). This means the baseline will change. So no, RID is for isocratic analysis at fixed flow rates only.
    3 posts Page 1 of 1