Agilent SEC Software?

Discussions about gel permeation chromatography / gel filtration chromatography / size exclusion chromatography

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Excuse me for this question I'm not familiar with HPLC topics. Can someone explain why I would need, or what the benefit of add on Agilent SEC software other than Chemstation for quantification of wax and polymer like impurities in vegetable oil using GPC columns and RID? My plan is to spike pure vegetable oils with impurities to make a standards curve. Thanks,
Hello

Are you going to work in GPC or normal LC?

Few differences between GPC and "standard" LC :

1. completely different calibration procedure for transformation of elution
volume in molar masses
2. completely different separation mechanism—diffusion controlled exclusion
instead of adsorption equilibration
3. basically different requirements to the system parameters which determine
the reproducibility, measurement and evaluation accuracy
4. variety of time bases—measurement time, peak width, and so on
5. variety of analysis goals—molecular mass specification instead of
qualitative or quantitative analysis

And basically that is why there is different software. For Agilent software Chemstation is still "core" and you just switch to GPC mode from normal Chemstation view.

Regards

Tomasz Kubowicz
Tomasz explaint it very well. For sure you can run SEC/GPC on your HPLC system but software cannot give you the requested information. Retention time is not enough for GPC. Therefore GPC software is a must. Good luck.
Gerhard Kratz, Kratz_Gerhard@web.de
3 posts Page 1 of 1