Phenomenex Biosep dilemma, good alternatives?

Discussions about gel permeation chromatography / gel filtration chromatography / size exclusion chromatography

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Dear chromatographers,
I have been using two Phenomenex Biosep SEC s2000 columns in 2 labs, for over 2 years now for protein size exclusion analysis, and it was chosen over Tosoh TSK G2000 SW as we had bad experience of short lifetime and more broadened peaks with those TSK Tosoh columns.
Unfortunately now after 2 years the Biosep column is "dying" and I think it was a long lifetime, so we ordered a new column and then found an insert in the box where the company explains something about quality improvement of Biosep media manufacturing, and narrowing down particle size distribution, so I wasn't alarmed as it should be "good news"!
now, after testing the new column, performance is much worse (broad and tailed peaks), in addition, i observed that the column needs extensive pre-conditioning by injection for eg. BSA several times... so I contacted their support team, and they sent me a free of charge column which was much better than the new column (but still not as good as the old one), but that was it, I ordered afterwards another new column but had the bad performance observed before.
So I believe I won't get any further with support team, probably the improvement they did is not working for our application (although its within application recommendations for this type, a 40 KDa protein).

Has anyone of Biosep users out there encountered this problem yet?

Also, anyone recommend good alternatives from other companies? I've read about a brand called Supelco (Discovery Bio GFC columns), anyone have experience with it? are there any alternatives from Waters with the same specs of Biosep SEC S2000?
I would appreciate your feedback, as we're now getting in a very tight spot with this unexpected surprise from Phenomenex and we should have a developed method ASAP.

Thank you
Hi Miro2009. I'm with Phenomenex, and we'd definitely like to help you with the issues you're seeing. We're committed to supporting all the columns we sell, including troubleshooting after the fact.

Would you please email me at karenb "at" phenomenex "dot" com with your information? I'll make sure someone is working on a solution right away.

I look forward to hearing from you.
KarenB wrote:
Hi Miro2009. I'm with Phenomenex, and we'd definitely like to help you with the issues you're seeing. We're committed to supporting all the columns we sell, including troubleshooting after the fact.

Would you please email me at karenb "at" phenomenex "dot" com with your information? I'll make sure someone is working on a solution right away.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Karen, thanks for the reply
Well I've forwarded to your email all my communication history with other members in Phenomenex support team, including serial numbers and attached profiles, not to go through the whole cycle from the beginning... I'm looking forward for further feedback as this "change" of resin performance has been a big headache in our work, and reverting to another brand and complete method development from scratch will not be an easy task.
Hi Miro2009, maybe try our product? http://www.sepax-tech.com/application_notes/ZP1004.pdf

Ovalbumin (Around 44 KDa) can be well separated in this standard bio-rad protein mixture. 100 or 150 A pore size would be suitable, depending on what other sample MWs are in your mixture. Our advantage is unique surface chemistry and 3um smaller particle size. You can find more data under application tab here: http://www.sepax-tech.com/Zenix.php

Feel free to contact me if need assistance.

Ting
4 posts Page 1 of 1