Karl Fischer; coulometric vs volumetric

Off-topic conversations and chit-chat.

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I was wondering when one might want to avoid coulometric. I might get a coulometric titrator because it is sensitive and requires less sample. Right now I'm only considering one drug (very water soluble).

In the future I may need to determine water in other drugs. I want to verify the versatility of the coulometric titrator.

Thanks!
MestizoJoe
Analytical Chemist and Adventurer
Venture Industries
Spider-Skull Island
We always used volumetric KF in our labs. This would work for samples 85% water down to below 0.1%.
Dear MestizoJoe

Volumetric KF has a higher detection limit than coulometric.
As long as your water content is high enough, volumetric is OK. But as soon as you need to go lower coulometric KF gives much more accurate results.
Dr. Markus Laeubli
Manager Marketing Support IC
(retired)
Metrohm AG
9101 Herisau
Switzerland
Thank you both.

Dr. Laeubli, do you know if the paper printouts from the KF instruments from Metrohm print out the complete record? That is, does 21 CFR Part 11 have to apply to data generated by these instruments?
MestizoJoe
Analytical Chemist and Adventurer
Venture Industries
Spider-Skull Island
Dear MestizoJo

This might depend from the instrument type.
Please check with your Metrohm subsidary or post the used models for a check.
Dr. Markus Laeubli
Manager Marketing Support IC
(retired)
Metrohm AG
9101 Herisau
Switzerland
5 posts Page 1 of 1