Should "Private Messenging" be enabled.

Off-topic conversations and chit-chat.

9 posts Page 1 of 1

Should "private messenging" be enabled on Chromatography Forum?

Poll ended at Fri May 02, 2008 12:58 am

1. Yes; I think this would be very useful.
7%
2. Maybe; I think it might be useful, but it's no big deal either way.
43%
3. No; I think it would be more annoying than useful
50%
Total votes: 14

As many of you have found out, the "private message" function for the Forum has never been enabled. It does have potential for abuse, but I can enable it if the consensus is that it would be useful.

So, please choose one of the options and we'll see what happens!
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374

For me it is not a big deal and will probably never use it, but if some people find it useful it could be enabled and if abused disabled. I think that the additional "pi" constrain for the registration process has efficiently kept down "junk" subscriptions so most people have a real interest on the subject of chromatography and if they want to contact someone it should be for a valid reason...

I don't think that I would ever need or use the private messaging feature. If the private messaging feature can be abused, then leave it disabled.

Having the email option works fine by me.

Regards,
Dan

Well, that seems to answer the question. We'll leave it turned off.
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
PM should be activated for a number of reasons. For instance, it allows the continuance of dialog between two individuals that initiates in a given thread but subsequently refocuses to technical areas of mutual scientific interest that are now inconsistent with the original intent (topic) of that thread.

PM also enables information mentoring, for want of a better term. For instance, one member may wish to learn from the knowledge base and expertise possessed by another by asking very specific yet perhaps basic questions relating to his or her technical area. This hesitation may simply be a matter of pride or vanity or it may relate to some other issue of practical concern such as expectations held by others (exaggerated or not) about the overall technical competency of that member by virtue of title or standing in the general scientific or corporate community. PM overcomes this hesitation and promotes learning in this regard because of its private nature.

In general the greater the opportunity for interaction, the better. This is after all, the Information Age, is it not? IMHO...for these and other goodly reasons I submit that Private Messaging is a value added service and should be turned on. Thank you for your consideration, LL :)
I have my e-mail listed in my profile. People have sent e-mails on matters they did not wish to post - and without detriment to the message board. In one case some of the material that went back and fort by e-mail was posted to the board for the benefit of others. So, if you have e-mail in your profile, you have private messaging enabled - even if not directly. And private communications do not have to take away from what goes on here.
1)

In Russian chemical forum (chemport.ru) private messargies often used
In analitical forum (anchem.ru) private messargies blocked and and it is not very convenient.
In general the greater the opportunity for interaction, the better. This is after all, the Information Age, is it not? IMHO...for these and other goodly reasons I submit that Private Messaging is a value added service and should be turned on. Thank you for your consideration. :)
I think it would be valuable, as then one would not need to post an E-mail address to the world.
9 posts Page 1 of 1