New Lab Set Up: Input Needed

Off-topic conversations and chit-chat.

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi Everyone,

My company expanded and decided to put two of my GCs into one room/lab. Unfortunately the room is only 11'x11' and I'm looking for input for the best configuration for the space.

I have 2 Agilent 7890s GC/FID with Entech Preconcentrators to go with it.

I really don't want to put the GCs on a bench against a wall but, do you think this would be for the best? It would make maintenance on the rear of the instruments difficult.

I was also thinking about putting a 8'x5' table in the middle of the room with one end up against a wall. That way the rear of the instruments can be accessed from all sides of the table.

Any input would be great.
I would put them up against the wall for space. I very rarely have to work on the back side of my GC's. When I do need to access the back for a repair I use a step stool so I can reach over to remove the gas lines and then place the GC on a large push cart.
Do you have a good air supply for the room (HVAC)?
What is your starting temperature? The ovens will cool faster if they can vent the hot air well away from the intakes.
A small room can have problems that won't show up in a larger space.
Do you have a good air supply for the room (HVAC)?
What is your starting temperature? The ovens will cool faster if they can vent the hot air well away from the intakes.
A small room can have problems that won't show up in a larger space.
You may consider to let hot gases from the oven go directly to ventillation duct with exhaust deflector mounted on the rear of GC.
I worked with HP/Agilent GCs and GCMS systems for over 40 years: 5830, 5840, 5890A, then the computerized 5890 II, 6890, and briefly with 7890.

Rarely did I need to access the rear of a unit (once installed) to do a repair (had to fix a couple of oven vent closures/motors). Like others, I used a cart, a portable lab bench, etc. to tilt the units away from the wall. Agree, recommend the oven exhaust deflectors.

So - new lab - will you be using hydrogen carrier gas?
Everyone,

Thanks for your responses and yes I will work on getting the vent deflector for the GC. The room will have AC but with the GC running it will heat up the room.

There will by Hydrogen gas but that will come from a source outside of the lab.
rw228 wrote:
... The room will have AC but with the GC running it will heat up the room...

Not when you connect deflector to ventilation duct by means of 4" flexible metal hose.
dblux_ wrote:
rw228 wrote:
... The room will have AC but with the GC running it will heat up the room...

Not when you connect deflector to ventilation duct by means of 4" flexible metal hose.

Definitely find a way to vent the heat outside. We do this with all of our GCs and it helps a lot with cooling the instrument and the room itself. It will save you a fortune in air conditioning costs.

Putting the backs of the instruments against the wall works good, just be sure to coil some tubing up for the gas lines so that it will stretch enough you can turn the instrument 90 degrees if you need to work on the back, makes it very simple.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
9 posts Page 1 of 1