worst tasting thing ever!

Off-topic conversations and chit-chat.

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Reading through some of the posts about mishaps people have suffered, I don't think anyone has mentioned the worst thing they have tasted...

Many years ago at the start on my career I was pouring some pyridine into a beaker. That last drop seemed to bounce off the surface onto my bottom lip. Without thinking about it I licked the drop off, as you would sugar from a doughnut.
I have eaten some pretty foul tasting food but nothing compares to the taste of pyridine!

GCguy
GCguy
I did something similar when working on some tubing on an instrument. I first blew it out with some Dustoff, then proceeded to blow through it with my mouth. I now know why the additive is called a bitterent! :lol:
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
1) naltrexone
2) paracetamol
3-inf) the entries above and below this one
Thanks,
DR
gcguy wrote:
Reading through some of the posts about mishaps people have suffered, I don't think anyone has mentioned the worst thing they have tasted...

Many years ago at the start on my career I was pouring some pyridine into a beaker. That last drop seemed to bounce off the surface onto my bottom lip. Without thinking about it I licked the drop off, as you would sugar from a doughnut.
I have eaten some pretty foul tasting food but nothing compares to the taste of pyridine!

GCguy

Pyridine used to be added to alcohol to denature it, now they use something that is not as toxic.

Peter
Peter Apps
James_Brall wrote:
I did something similar when working on some tubing on an instrument. I first blew it out with some online bingo sites Dustoff, then proceeded to blow through it with my mouth.

Oh that sounds bad. And I'm sure it tasted even worse.
May I quote from J. Inst. Brew., November-December, 1993, Vol. 99, pp. 479-482 "PERCEPTION OF HETEROCYCLIC NITROGEN COMPOUNDS IN MATURE WHISKY", C. M. DELAHUNTY, J. M. CONNER, J. R. PIGGOTT and A. PATERSON

"...both the odour and taste of whiskies improved as pyridine content decreased"
Worst ever was the frozen chicken and tuna croquettes my mother made for my brothers and me back in 1961. We were literally wretching and dry-heaving at the dinner table, and begging to be sent to bed instead. And we liked chicken and tuna.

Jump to Jan. 1, 1980, when my girlfriend and I went to dinner at a friend's house; she made turkey croquettes from left-over turkey and all those memories returned !
Consumer Products Guy wrote:
Worst ever was the frozen chicken and tuna croquettes my mother made for my brothers and me back in 1961. We were literally wretching and dry-heaving at the dinner table, and begging to be sent to bed instead. And we liked chicken and tuna.

Jump to Jan. 1, 1980, when my girlfriend and I went to dinner at a friend's house; she made turkey croquettes from left-over turkey and all those memories returned !

Never had chicken or turkey cooked like that, but I do love salmon patties :)
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
One of the many jobs I've had was working in a bottling plant for liquor. Lots of different flavors came into our lab. The product that I hate the most was coconut flavor. I am not a fan of coconuts and the smell reminds me of sweaty people at large, outdoor, summer venues.

But non-food related, di-butyl amine or cyclohexyl amine. They never made it to my mouth, but the nose is a pretty good indicator.
9 posts Page 1 of 1