How do we test a fresh-graduate analyst?

Off-topic conversations and chit-chat.

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Our lab will recruit new analyst as HPLC operator. What kind of test will you perform in initial screening test to identify their capabilities, talents, work ethic, and professional motivations? I need your advice since this is my first experience to make the test. Thank you.

syx,
This made me think of the "Dilbert" cartoon book I have titled "Please don't feed the egos" in which Dilbert and Wally devise ridiculous methods to choose their IT vendors! I don't suggest you apply these particular methods to your new graduates!
Sounds like you need some help from your personnel/human resource department for the non-technical attributes.
WK

You have a good supply of rubber gloves?

Seriously - I ask them technical questions pertaining to chromatographic theory and I ask them to tell me about some of their previous experiences in the area of troubleshooting methods and instruments. I also ask many questions about their computer experience in an effort to see if they understand how data systems work and if they know where the landmines are.

If they show some potential but have little experience (and they get hired), I tend to use them to help with sample prep and bring them into running the LCs and crunching the numbers more slowly.
Thanks,
DR

Hi Syx,
I wouldn't bother drilling the potential candidate with technical questions. Have a face-to-face interview with the "candidate" to see if you feel comfortable with his/her presence. If you are, that candidate is the one.
Good luck,
ntruong

Thank you for your advise... they are valuable for me.

Ntruong, one additional point: I feel comfortable with her presence when she is beautiful... :D

Thanks,
DR

It is too far... I won't be like that, Sir. :wink:
7 posts Page 1 of 1