Sample preparation [July 19, 2004]

Off-topic conversations and chit-chat.

7 posts Page 1 of 1
By Long on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 09:17 pm:

Hello, I thing it is good to have a forum for sample preparation. It would help a lot in method development.
Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By tom jupille on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 09:07 am:

The question is really one of how to subdivide the forum in a meaningful way. If we have too few, then it's a jumble. Too many and it's confusing. Take a look at the proposed new version here:
http://www.sepsci.com/phpBB2/index.php

Any suggestions are welcome.

Having said that, I'll solicit feedback:

should we have a sample prep board?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By ingochrist on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 10:13 am:

I'd like a sample prep board, since that is where I spent most of my time.

By judd on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 11:24 am:

I like the new format, as it's a fairly common one with which I am familiar. I disagree about the need for sample prep board, however. I would think that individual problems with sample prep could be dealt with in the appropriate forum (GC, HPLC, Hyphenated techniques, etc...) and that a FAQ (or FAQs) could be written containing general guidleines for each technique. I am interested in sample prep problems and techniques, but would rather minimize the number of forums I have to go to in order to see what's going on.

By Tom Mizukami on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 02:30 pm:

The problem with lots of individual bboards is that they won't be posted to that often, thus people will start viewing them less and it will take longer to get answers, so it will be posted to less, etc. The online forum death spiral.

I haven't seen a case when a well presented sample prep question hasn't been answered. Often Uwe and others have provided detailed and expert advice.

My recommendation is to keep the number of forums to a minimum.

Sample prep-great idea. Nawadays the actual analytical method is rarely the problem-it is getting the analyte cleanly into the hplc-plasma samples, trace analysis, food analysis all have major sample prep issues irrespective of the final analytical procedure.

If anyone has any doubt---tell me how to [conveniently] standardize the instruction - sonicate for 10 minutes!!!

To mross - no argument about the importance of sample prep. At this point, though, I think sample prep discussions are better left in one of the larger categories where they will be seen (and hopefully responded to) by more people.
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374

Can you direct me to such a site>Many thanks

Actually, I don't know of any discussion groups / message boards that are dedicated to sample prep as such.

If you have a specific question, you can post it on one of the boards here and almost certainly get some discussion. I went back and looked at the Archives (http://www.lcresources.com/discus/index1.html). A keyword search on the phrase "sample prep" (in the message texts) turned up 197 hits over a 5-year period.

For now, I'd like to let things settle down a bit with the present format. Why don't you bring the topic up again around the end of the year; we can take a quick poll at that time and see if breaking sample prep out as a separate board seems worthwhile (maybe replacing the "data systems" board?)
-- Tom Jupille
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374

Agreed-I raised it because I also havent found anything specific and as a firm beleiver in solid phase extraction-I thought this might be the site-lets leave it for now, and congrats on a good site.

Thanks! :oops:

But seriously, rattle my cage later on and we'll revist the issue.
-- Tom Jupille
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
7 posts Page 1 of 1