Christmas in the lab

Off-topic conversations and chit-chat.

5 posts Page 1 of 1
I am still laughing at Peter's suggestion in a previous GC post about sacrificing a chicken :D

Which made me think about Christmas in the lab.

Obviously, because of Health and Safety these are only speculative comments and I would never have done nor would I recommend any of following :wink:

Perhaps after the sacrifice, roast the chicken in the GC oven for 90 mins at 200°C

The GC ovens will also successfully cook sausage rolls. mince pies and jacket potatoes (I would imagine)

For the Llquid chromatographers may I suggest a mobile phase of a suitable wine? But not too great a flow rate, otherwise you will no longer be in a stationary phase

With the overhead lights out the blinking instrument lights make quite an attractive decorative accompaniment -

Any other suggestions?

Regards

Ralph
Regards

Ralph
You could also roast Marshmallows in the Plasma torch of an ICP-OES. Hang some socks to the front door of the fumehood for Santa. Unroll a GC capillary and use it for some kind of Lametta, which you wrap around a christmas tree. You can build the tree from steel capillaries, or better green PEEK. Some 250x4.6 mm coupled with zero-ded volume column couplers will do for the stem...
Back in the day when I worked in an environmental laboratory, we used to fill several 10 mL volumetrics and erlenmeyers with coloured water and hang those from a tiny 1-ft Christmas tree. We then added various small consumables as decorations (like pipette tips). We kept this little tree on the lab bench next to the water still. Looked good and was festive, if not a tad unorthodox.

Where I work now, if we had any such decorations in the lab they'd be deemed a safety hazard & removed forthwith. How times change! :lol:
far be it from me to comment on why, in a lab I used to work in, the clean glassware drying oven used to smell most peculiarly of chips after weekends.
bunnahabhain wrote:
You could also roast Marshmallows in the Plasma torch of an ICP-OES. Hang some socks to the front door of the fumehood for Santa. Unroll a GC capillary and use it for some kind of Lametta, which you wrap around a christmas tree. You can build the tree from steel capillaries, or better green PEEK. Some 250x4.6 mm coupled with zero-ded volume column couplers will do for the stem...

I have heard that you can roast marshmallows over the sample heater on and Encon Evolution purge and trap. I will never divulge the source of that information though, but it was very reliable :)
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
5 posts Page 1 of 1