LOD and LOQ using visible spectroscopy

Off-topic conversations and chit-chat.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
I'm familiar with LOD and LOQ using both gas and liquid chromatography. So what about LOD and LOQ using visible spectroscopy, reading absorbance in cuvettes at about 400nm?

Would one still use the 3X and 10X blank or noise as criteria? Company wants to make a claim that competitor has no "material" in their formulation, but what if competitor adds "fairy dust" amount to a large batch, never could be positively determined. I couldn't testify that there's "none".

So this is just another go-around of how to define "none". My guess is that we'll end up settling for something like this: if present, present below xxx limit, determined from low-level spikes. So would that limit still be 3X the blank/noise for this?
Actually, the 3x and 10x S/N criteria make more sense in spectrophotometry (where you're looking at a continuous signal) than they do in chromatography. That said, as long as you have to run a calibration plot, it's no harder to simply use 3.3 x the standard error divided by the slope -- and *definitely* verify with low-level spikes.
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
Thanks, Tom - I will take your advice.
3 posts Page 1 of 1