own medieval hplc set

Off-topic conversations and chit-chat.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi,

My name is Dorian and I'm IV year Pharmacy student from Poland. I thought lately of acquiring a hplc system myself, mainly because of the fact that i want to train my hplc service skills. Of course as a student my funds are limited, so the pump, detector and other parts i plan to buy, will not be a high class equipment.

And here comes the question:

http://www.ebay.pl/itm/Beckman-110B-Sol ... 541efbe28c

What is the chance that this pump will work sufficiently effective (by 'sufficiently' i mean, that the outcome dont have to be repeatable, existing outcome will be enough :) )
What is the chance that if the pump works, it will be broken while being shipped (USA->Poland)?

Regards,

Dorian
Those pumps are fairly "bulletproof" mechanically, and spare parts for the liquid end like pistons, seals, & check valves are still widely available. The big question with anything that old is the electronics. They are selling it "as is", but they are not a chromatography company, so your guess is as good as mine on functionality. Assuming reasonable packaging, it's hard to imagine any damage in shipping.
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
When we started SIELC in 2003, we built first 2 QC systems for about 500 dollars each. It had old Spectro Physics autosampler (paid about $200), Water 600 HPLC pump ($60) and Kratos detector ($200). All purchased on Ebay. One system is still running after 12 years :)
Vlad Orlovsky
HELIX Chromatography
My opinions might be bias, but I have about 1000 examples to support them. Check our website for new science and applications
www.helixchrom.com
Oh thanks for your reply! (sorry that that it took me about a month to reply)

Vlad Orlovsky - the detector's lamp was ok after you bought it or it needed replacement?

On polish auction site i found fairly cheap (~200 $) FPLC set made of 'normal' pump, peristaltic pump, and detector -so for now (after i find column of course) i will be fascinated with protein retention :D

I've got some questions about FPLC, though. (maybe you can help me - if not of course i will try creating new topic in students projects)

Is it possible to analyse 'normal' small molecule compounds on for example ion exchange fplc column? (i found one publication in which they analysed caffeine.)
Is it possible to use fplc as an hplc substitute for typical hplc 'training' (to fill FPLC column with RP solid phase [with particle size big enough not to generate to big pressure], analyse some compouds, calculate their N, resolution, observe tr change with various pH of mobile phase etc.)
Don't you know if there is a possibility to buy somewhere an electronic version of this book http://www.amazon.com/FPLC-Ion-Exchange ... B000OY2SSO ?

Regards,

Dorian
4 posts Page 1 of 1