Idiot callers

Off-topic conversations and chit-chat.

9 posts Page 1 of 1
You people get idiot callers? Like from area code 720 for a subscription to re-new Spectroscopy magazine, something I never asked for, and I've kept asking them NOT to call. Today I told them they must be the biggest morons in the world because they can't figure out how to cross off my name, and I ask how it feels to work for such a stooooopid company.....I get similar from Pharmaceutical Technology or something similar, something I've never ever asked for.
The same thing happens to me all of the time. I am more annoyed by calls to my personal cell phone telling me that:

I can lower my credit card insurance rate.
I can qualify for a free medical device for a medical problem that I don't even have.
Windows security center has found a problem with my computer and if I let them log on they will fix the problem.

I actually made the call supervisor for the Windows security scam hang up on me after a lengthy discussion:)
skunked_once wrote:
I am more annoyed by calls to my personal cell phone

I don't carry one !

skunked_once wrote:
calls telling me that:

Windows security center has found a problem with my computer and if I let them log on they will fix the problem.

I had that call at home, told guy he did NOT work for Microsoft, and that Microsoft has discontinued support for my Windows XP. I asked him what he was selling, and he yelled at me saying I was rude after I told him he was violating federal laws, then I think it was me who hung up on him. Since last week I have Ooma, so no more $48 a month bill with Century Link, just $3.83 for local taxes with Ooma after I bought the electronic box ($109). Ooma has caller ID too which I didn't have before, plus other new-to-me features.

Remember in "Red River" when Walter Brennan says that no stranger ever good-news'd him ? That's what I feel with most phone calls ! When I see the message light on the phone at work, I always cringe...
The "Windows security" scam has been around for a while, despite efforts to stop it:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012 ... pc/#unread

On the cell phone, I let everything go to voice mail. Most telemarketers won't leave a message.
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
I keep a whistle by the phone....when I get those Microsoft scam calls, I string them a long for a bit to waste their time then blow as hard as I can :bom:

As for telemarketing calls, this is one approach :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OgWcwgB50
KM-USA wrote:
You people get idiot callers? Like from area code 720 for a subscription to re-new Spectroscopy magazine, something I never asked for, and I've kept asking them NOT to call. Today I told them they must be the biggest morons in the world because they can't figure out how to cross off my name, and I ask how it feels to work for such a stooooopid company.....I get similar from Pharmaceutical Technology or something similar, something I've never ever asked for.

Hey KM - I got this same call today. Their number is 970-300-1047. I also called them morons.

tphase wrote:
As for telemarketing calls, this is one approach :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OgWcwgB50

Hey, that's pretty good. Wife says callers should be aware before they call me, because I always let them have it. And that whistle trick is a good idea. I've also just shouted if they could hear me, that I couldn't hear them. If I'm ever in a mall, dragging a foot or acting like I'm mentally handicapped keeps the questioneers away.

As of two weeks ago when we switched to Ooma phone, we have caller ID which also helps.
I passed that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OgWcwgB50 link to the wife.

Wife said that Sears called the day her mom died, and insisted on talking to her. She tried to get off the phone with the guy, (he was selling an extended warranty on the microwave). She finally said, "she is dead, she is not calling you back and obviously she does not need an extended warranty" The crazy thing is, the guy did not believe her and accused her of lying to him!
Consumer Products Guy wrote:
KM-USA wrote:

Hey KM - I got this same call today. Their number is 970-300-1047. I also called them morons.

The same number flashed up on a call yesterday, so I answered the phone "Spectroscopy Magazine", and the caller hung up. They are nothing if not relentless.

At home, we kept getting a call over and over from same source, relentless. So I over the weekend I set up a number block on the Ooma so the call never gets to us, relays that phone has been disconnected or something.
KM-USA wrote:
Consumer Products Guy wrote:
KM-USA wrote:

The same number flashed up on a call yesterday, so I answered the phone "Spectroscopy Magazine", and the caller hung up. They are nothing if not relentless.

At home, we kept getting a call over and over from same source, relentless. So I over the weekend I set up a number block on the Ooma so the call never gets to us, relays that phone has been disconnected or something.

If the calls are being autodialed and the autodialer receives the three tone reply that you hear when you get a disconnected number it normally flags that number as disconnected and removes it from the dialing list. A few years back someone made a device that would play those tones when your phone rang before you answered it, I wonder if they still make it. Also if you record those tones and put them on your answering machine/voicemail and just let it pickup, it should do the same thing :)
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
9 posts Page 1 of 1