Excess glassware

Off-topic conversations and chit-chat.

5 posts Page 1 of 1
We have an overabundance of glassware that used to be the stock-in-trade for analytical chemists: sep funnels and round bottom flasks mostly, but also volumetric pipettes and flasks. I would prefer to find a good home for them rather than send out to the dumpster in broken glass boxes. Has any one had success donating these things to local colleges or high schools?
All standard disclaimers apply. My posts are my opinions only and do not necessarily reflect the policies of my employer.
In a former position at an institution of higher education, I was able to donate glassware and older but still useful instruments to a private school. The school was very happy to obtain the donations. Be sure to check on disposal policies of your employer.
Hi Mary

A while ago there were some posts on the forum about an organisation that collected and redistributed scientific hardware. I wish I could recall the details .....

Peter
Peter Apps
I have donated unused glassware to a private college. Used glassware is probably not as welcome.
When asked, most places weren't interested.
Most universities are going to micro scale glass ware to save money on reagents. It happened where I went to school almost 25 years ago, I have a nice collection of distillation glassware at home because they were just giving it away back then. Most of my friends took home enough beakers that they didn't need to have drinking glasses at home lol.(they were actually new 500ml-1000ml beakers)

Private schools and high schools would probably be your best bet on this.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
5 posts Page 1 of 1