Lab Pest Management

Off-topic conversations and chit-chat.

25 posts Page 2 of 2
MSCHemist wrote:
It reminds me of Grad school. I worked in a lab that cultured mammalian cells. They were always blaming the lab down the hall that did Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Schizosaccharomyces pombe whenever they got contaminated with yeast.

The Yeast lab denied their strains were that pervassive and were constantly complaining about the genetics lab accross the hall for their Drosphila flies getting into their yeast media/culture. I have no idea who the drosophila people blamed for contamination.

Reading those names I am reminded of why I became a chemist instead of a biologist :)
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
Reading those names I am reminded of why I became a chemist instead of a biologist :)

Of course. As chemists we only have to deal with the names of organic chemicals which are highly organized and for which there are specific rules, 15-Hydroxy-3-dehydroxytifruticin for example. :wink:
GCguy
How nice article!! When it comes to organic pest treatment then I would recommend professional services of Pest control Port Macquarie company. I am using their services from a long time and they have never given me any chance of complaint.
skunked-once, chemical names and logic:

Can anyone explain the numbering of flavonoid rings to me? The conventional numbering can be found at: http://www.tuscany-diet.net/2014/01/22/ ... ification/

So carbon 1 is an oxygen, two carbons that couldn't have a substituent have no number, while a third carbon is numbered (1') but equally couldn't have a substituent.
lmh wrote:
skunked-once, chemical names and logic:

Can anyone explain the numbering of flavonoid rings to me? The conventional numbering can be found at: http://www.tuscany-diet.net/2014/01/22/ ... ification/

So carbon 1 is an oxygen, two carbons that couldn't have a substituent have no number, while a third carbon is numbered (1') but equally couldn't have a substituent.

I think a nutritionists just made those up. :)
For those of us who are not quite PC, acetone in syringes is a hell of a lot of fun and quite effective against roaches, wasps and scorpions.

And no, James, I won't get anywhere near your volatiles systems! :lol:
Mark Krause
Laboratory Director
Krause Analytical
Austin, TX USA
In undergrad our windows actually opened, which was nice in a building with no AC. I don't recall an insect issue, but I do remember inhaling way too much organic vapor. That could explain the lack of insects, among other things.

For flies in a previous job, isopropanol in a squirt bottle worked wonders. We didn't realize how well until the window cleaner came in and commented on the number of fly carcasses at the window.
That reminds me of when I left the LCGC chromatography lab when it was closed down (outsourced) - there was a dead wasp on the window ledge next to my desk. I think that the solvent fumes (including THF, which I always found as a background in GCMS studies) killed it

When I returned to the same lab after a few years to work as a bench monkey on consumer product prototypes this lab had been "completely" ripped out and refurbished.. But I found the same dead wasp in the same place!

John, you have produced so many good articles over the years - please add your experience to the "How many years" thread

Regards

Ralph

Love the Human pest comment
Regards

Ralph
mckrause wrote:
For those of us who are not quite PC, acetone in syringes is a hell of a lot of fun and quite effective against roaches, wasps and scorpions.

And no, James, I won't get anywhere near your volatiles systems! :lol:

Now if only I can keep our wet chemistry group from washing everything with acetone right outside my door I will be fine :)

In college we used Methylene Chloride or Acetone to kill wasps. I had to kill those every day in my research lab, never did figure out how they kept getting in there.
25 posts Page 2 of 2