Oh no! New Greenhouse Gas, bad for GCMS operators

Off-topic conversations and chit-chat.

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Well I just saw a news blurb today that says a study has discovered that PFTBA is a stronger greenhouse gas than CO2. I guess we better be careful how long we leave our calibration valves open or all the glaciers will melt :)

http://www.livescience.com/41914-greenh ... hange.html

Quote from the article I found amusing;

"For the study, the researchers collected atmospheric data from November 2012 to December 2012, and measured the proportion of PFTBA in the atmosphere at 0.18 parts per trillion. This means that for every 1 trillion air molecules, less than a full molecule of PFTBA is present."

Wouldn't that be less than 1/5 of a full molecule is present per 1 trillion air molecules? And what is a "full" molecule of PFTBA? Non-Science types make me chuckle sometimes.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
Nice to see Chicken Little is alive and well and now working in Science Journalism :roll:
Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Will PFTBA come under the Montreal Protocol? Will the price rise dramatically as its production is phased out? Will we be hoarding it along with our stash of Freon 113? Enquiring minds want to know!
I wonder if they had a leaky cal gas valve on whatever they slapped together for that test :D .

Hmm last time I had to replace the PFTBA I found a 25 year old vial from an old 5971 installation kit - still have some of that left.
Yama001 wrote:
I wonder if they had a leaky cal gas valve on whatever they slapped together for that test :D .

Hmm last time I had to replace the PFTBA I found a 25 year old vial from an old 5971 installation kit - still have some of that left.

I think I did that too the last time I needed some.

At least on the newer ones you could see the level, that was about the only thing I ever disliked on the 5970 was the white opaque PFTBA vial.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
When people get funded because they found some thing scary - the objective of many will be to find something scary. And, you sell news by keeping the public on the edge of their chairs. Thus we have the major breaking news:

We are all about to die and scientists are working hard to avert this problem. And, resouces for studying this issue are difficult to come by. Buy stuff from our sponsors and we will be right back with more on the story!

Meanwhile I'm off to see if I can get a grant to study something that is not a problem, nor ever could be - but I'd like to study it. :wink:
6 posts Page 1 of 1