Hi All

Off-topic conversations and chit-chat.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Found this forum today while googling :)

Thought I would introduce myself, ad I hope this will be a start of something long and prosperous.

First of all I am a 34 yr old Australian, currently living and working in Perth, Western Australia. Soon to be married to a wonderful girl, and living with two cats as well :) Interests include Drag Racing, Photography, Fishing, and Personal development.

On the Chromatography side of things I have been involved with both GC and GC-MS analysis for about 12 years in a number of fields including Environmental/food, pharmaceutical, Petroleum, and essential oils analysis. I think I have covered just about every commercial application of a GC and GC-MS in those years. Currently I have dumbed down a bit and am working as an Offshore lab tech jumping from Oil rig to oil rig to fix their process issues. Enjoy it a lot as I rarely see the same four walls twice, and it gives me time to develop my analytical consulting and training business.

So, thats me, and I look forward to meeting you all and I hope I can ask any dumb questions I may have, and conversely I will be pleased to pass on the knowledge I have.
Those who think it can't be done, should not disturb those doing it.

Hi Self Analytical,
I guess it depends how long you are offshore as to when you read this!
Interesting biography - covered most applications indeed- ideal for self employment.
I admire your bravery at an early age to develop an analytical business.
Some people just take it up as a stop-gap after loss of employment.
Have you any advice/anecdotes for anyone starting up a consultancy?
Does anyone else run their own business?
WK

Hi WK

Yeah, am offshore as we speak, and access to the internet is sporadic at the best :(

I guess my broad range of experience has led me to reach the conclusion that I should make it work for me. I feel I have packed in a fair bit and sharing it with others seemed to be a good direction to go.

As far as I know there are very few who aim for self employment in the Chemistry field. Not sure if it is the industry, or the attitude of those who enter the field. In Australia many of my compatriots seem to be content in getting a secure lab position and cruising along in their career. I was that way for a long while, but recently I have become less and less satified with what that offered. In the future I see a lack of qualified and experienced chemists, so I perceive a demand for someone to help in filling that void.

My advice? Well, at the moment it would be like the blind leading the blind :) However, if one felt that it was a direction that they would like to take, then do you homework in what the market desires and work to fill it. Also, a good healthy lack of fear would also help, desire for security is not a top priority for those who go it alone.

See how I go anyway :)
Those who think it can't be done, should not disturb those doing it.
3 posts Page 1 of 1