what discounts in bookstore and Amazon?

Off-topic conversations and chit-chat.

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi, everyone

My friend will leave USA to Shanghai for a holiday time next week, and I asks him take some books about HPLC, chemometrics and mathetmatics(linear algebra and statistics), so I want to know some information about discounts in bookstore and Amazon website, well, I think which one is prefered and whether it is worth asking him(he is in Sunnyval, CA), any information will appreciated greatly, thanks in advance!

Best regards!
The God had ever have three apples. Adam was tricked eating up one of them in Eden, and the second dropped from the tree and hit Issac Newton on his head, then what happened on the third one?Interestingly it was bit by Steve Jobs!
Statistics and Chemometrics for Analytical Chemistry (4th Edition) http://www.amazon.com/Statistics-Chemometrics-Analytical-Chemistry-Edition/dp/0130228885

Prof Miller was the Stats/Chemometrics lecturer on My MSc course in the UK.
Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Amazon's prices are often lower than "list" price, but it varies from book to book. Also, Amazon allows individuals to sell used books through the site, which can result in substantial savings.

The catch is that shipping can take anywhere up to a week, unless you pay a premium for overnight or two-day. That might be a bit tight if you friend is leaving next week.

Assuming you can't access amazon.com from Shanghai, your best bet would be to contact your friend with a list of books in which you are interested so that he/she can check price and availability.
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
Hi,Tom and JGK

Thanks both of you for your helpful information. These days I'm using MATLAB for data analysis and image process, unfortunately, I don't have information on chemometrics and linear algebra,so I can't understand the output from the software, which is based on matrix manipulation process, therefore I have to find some textbooks to study these elementary information(Unluckily no those courses in my university period), and your information give me a lot of help, thanks!

Best regards!
The God had ever have three apples. Adam was tricked eating up one of them in Eden, and the second dropped from the tree and hit Issac Newton on his head, then what happened on the third one?Interestingly it was bit by Steve Jobs!
Hi, Tom

I've contacted my friend and he has been searching for the books information, but a question comes in my brain just one minute ago: whether this action is compliant with US export regulations and I wonder that those books will be denied by US Customer Agency, or maybe pay extra tax fees. I hope you give me some information. Thanks!

Best regards!
As far as I know, the US has no export controls on books, so you're safe there. Your friend will have to pay the California sales tax on the books (8.x%), but that's effectively part of the purchase price. I have no idea what import duties, taxes, etc. might apply at your end.
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
6 posts Page 1 of 1