concentrations conversions

Off-topic conversations and chit-chat.

10 posts Page 1 of 1
I have often wondered, no I am asking...

Has anyone seen a spreadsheet or software that converts ppm, ppt, mg/ml, ug/ml, mmol/l and so on?
I sure could use one!

Thanks
Alp
A DIY project I would have thought.

Peter
Peter Apps
amusingly, Excel has a built-in conversion function, "CONVERT()", handling a wild range of different units, but sadly not including any directly dealing with concentration. It can however, with a little ingenuity, convert centi-horsepower per fluid ounce into Watts per teaspoon.
lmh wrote:
amusingly, Excel has a built-in conversion function, "CONVERT()", handling a wild range of different units, but sadly not including any directly dealing with concentration. It can however, with a little ingenuity, convert centi-horsepower per fluid ounce into Watts per teaspoon.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Peter Apps
Peter Apps
I can't imagine having to use watts per teaspoon, ...maybe if I had to determine calories ; )

In any case, yes you are quite right, usually a DIY project that could be put together with excel or such. Still... finding a ready made solution is always preferable.
I'm getting old and lazy.

Alp
lovely lists! They missed one of my favourites, I think: the square-m foot. This measure of volume was, I believe, popular for a time amongst UK construction people involved in foundations, linear measurements on the ground plan being written in metric units, but depth of foundation for a while still being specified in feet. I'd imagine it's long since gone totally metric.
http://www.convert-me.com/en/unitlist.html

this might help at the beginning ;-)
HPLC 2017 in Prague, http://hplc2017-prague.org/
Build your own in Excel. No better way to understand the components involved in your conversion than to have to figure out how to do it in a spreadsheet (where does that ) go anyway?) I did the same for conversion of gas units (even though I confess I don't take local atmospheric pressure into account ...) and it is a great way to see all the factors that go into the calculation. The only challenging part of this is how do you check your work and who else will check your work but if you lay out the spreadsheet it should be apparent. I would do it on paper as well since you can then sit down and physically cross off the units to make sure you end up where you want. Unfortunately in my case I had to compare a standard purchased to a standard made which is not ideal but it worked.

Best regards,

AICMM
I am now thinking about how to calibrate a teaspoon!!
GCguy
10 posts Page 1 of 1