Scary move?

Off-topic conversations and chit-chat.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
I have been in government positions of one form or another for my entire (15 year) career. I'm contemplating a move to a private, contract laboratory. So far, no alarms are going off and I'm hearing the right things...I think. I worry about ethics and pressure and burnout. Can anyone give me any hints about questions to ask (and what the right answers might be)? After 15 years I hate feeling this much like a newbie, :oops: but there is a move and a family involved now. Years ago, I'd have jumped at this chance, but now...it is scary.
Thanks for any words of advice!
M
Look at the org chart. Who do QA & QC report to? Any conflicts of interest there? Prepare to make more $, other things being equal.
Thanks,
DR
Having worked in the private sector and in government, expect some changes. The pressures vary between various labs within the government as they do in the private sector. But, I would expect an increase in pressue. At various levels of government, an enterprise can fail but dontinue on - the taxpayers continue to pay anyhow. In the private sector, a failing enterprise fails. Thus there is a drive to produce results - and good results.

Ethics - this depends entirely with the group of people and what corners they choose to cut.

Burnout - depends on both the organization and you.

There are some web sites that people use to give opionions of previous employers. I don't remember names right now - but see if you can get an impression of the company from the outside. Or talk to sales and service reps for the instrument companies you work with and see if they know anyone who would have a perspective on the possible employer.
There are several levels of differences

One is financing of equipment and supplies. Usually in government labs its "no more but also not less than XXX". In private labs management can increase funds for the new equipment etc. - but usually You have to prove and persuade You really need it.

Expect to work overtime on some occasions - because "we need to send out the results on Friday no matter what".

As mentioned - ethics and corner cutting varies from company to company and also depends on the certification/regulation level of the industry for which lab works.

During the interview try to find out how many people "above you" are with chemical/analytical or similar background and how many are purely business management educated - these tend to understand just numbers in the Excel but might be difficult to deal when discussing why the "analysis A" needs more time/equipment/chemicals compared to "analysis B", especially during implementation of the new methods.
4 posts Page 1 of 1