porous particles for formulation trial

Off-topic conversations and chit-chat.

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi,

This may be the wrong forum, but I wonder if you have heard of a material with the following properties:

- spherical (preferably) small particles (<1 mm diamater)
- porous with the possibility to carry large amount of substance per volume
- good particle strength
- density below or close to 1
- safe to eat

All ideas are welcome!
Have a look at spray dreid flavour formulations - some of these are on free-flowing carrier particles.

Peter
Peter Apps
Thanks!

I had a look at zeolites that seems to have good properties. The drug itself is positively charged in acidic solution, which should go well with the negative surface of the zeolite. Density seems to be below 1 (0.7). At intestinal pH, the drug is neutral and should be replaced with other positive ions.

But I have really no clue. This is just "wild and crazy" thinking at the moment. Let me know if I am on the completely wrong track. Is it OK to eat zeolites in the first place?
I doubt that ziolites are toxic, but they would be very unpleasant to chew !! You need to be thinking in terms of modified starches, plant gums (agar, acaranth, gum arabic etc), or something based on cellulose unless you want to be burdened with safety testing on the carrier.

Peter
Peter Apps
Mattias,

Look at some like alginic acid (polymer):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alginic_acid
Vlad Orlovsky
HELIX Chromatography
My opinions might be bias, but I have about 1000 examples to support them. Check our website for new science and applications
www.helixchrom.com
Peter Apps wrote:
Have a look at spray dreid flavour formulations - some of these are on free-flowing carrier particles.

Peter

My last company did drug deliver using porous spray dried microspheres PLGA.

IIRC the smallest we did was 2-3 microns IIRC... nanos tend to have more agglomeration issues. (Did IV and inhaled)

- Karen
Thank you for your suggestions!

The drug I am thinking about is a high dose product that I would like to make as a drinkable formulation. It is also very bitter, and there will be a need of coating of the particles.

We have tried to make particles with the drug and different binders. It works OK, but the particles break during the coating (leaving parts of the particles uncoated). This makes the particles impossible to eat/drink. Even small amounts of drug in the mouth tastes awful (I have tried).

That is why I was thinking of using particles of another material as a carrier. Something that will not break during coating, have a low density, good safety profile and uniform size distribution.
Hi Mattias

What you need is encapsulation, not porous particles. There might also be some flavour masking agents that you can use - speak to Givuadan or Firmenich or Symrise. Sweet and fatty might appeal to your target market !

Peter
Peter Apps
Have you looked at Trehalose encapulations
Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Thanks all!

Do you have any references to how to set up an encapsulation trial in the lab (using trehalose or something else). Or is it best to ask another company to do it? I guess I will be the one tasting the formulations anyhow...

By the way - the zeolites could adsorb some of the drug substance but no way near the amount needed to be an option.
10 posts Page 1 of 1