Can you trust an analyst to add up?

Off-topic conversations and chit-chat.

12 posts Page 1 of 1
LCGC are running a survey today. One of the questions asks what percentage of your work is qualitative, and what percentage is quantitative (the two should add to 100%, the question reminds us).
It then has two boxes to type in numbers, and a third box which shows the sum in real-time, just to make sure you get it right...

Does anyone else find it worrying (but rather funny) that LCGC clearly don't trust people working in quantitative analytical chemistry to add two numbers and get 100?

I enjoyed it nearly as much as the cardboard cut-out policeman in our local supermarket, who had to be chained to a solid object in case he was carried away by a crime-wave.
Ha ha. I thought the same thing when I took the survey yesterday. Yeah it's a little curious that they put all those checks in place to make sure our answers come to exactly 100%. :roll:
~Ty~
40% of my work is quantitative
10% of my work is qualitative
30% of my work is paperwork
20% of my work is meetings to talk about what I should be working on

I think they missed some very important boxes.
5% of my work is quantitative
20% of my work is paperwork
65% of my work is meetings to talk about what I should be working on

I'm in managment :roll:
Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
And always remember that there are three kinds of people: those who can count and those who can't count. :?
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
JGK wrote:
5% of my work is quantitative
20% of my work is paperwork
65% of my work is meetings to talk about what I should be working on what kind of manager are you ?? :? , proper managers have meetings about what other people should be working on :lol:

I'm in managment :roll:

Peter
Peter Apps
Well, I had to spend 10 minutes the other day explaining to someone who purportedly has an MSc how a 20% salt solution contains 1g of salt in 5mls and that 1% of 200g was 0.5g :shock:
Regards

Ralph
I assume the above intended to read 1 g is 0.5% of 200 g?

By the way, I've seen plenty of confusion on percent solutions. And there are discussions elsewhere on this site of weight per weight vs. weight per volume, etc. And when the system is assumed, poor results may follow.
yes, that is what I meant to say, thank you :oops: - That will teach me to not to be so hasty
Regards

Ralph
those who work on weekends can be forgiven a few little mistakes.

Rod
tom jupille wrote:
And always remember that there are three kinds of people: those who can count and those who can't count. :?

I'd always heard that there were 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't
I liked that one.

Keep them coming.

Rod
12 posts Page 1 of 1