Do you think my qualifactions are a disadvantage?

Off-topic conversations and chit-chat.

17 posts Page 1 of 2
Hey, just wondering what you think? maybe im a bit paranoid but do you think my qualifactions are a disadvantage? I am analytical chemist from ireland and have about six good years working as research analytical chemist in the pharma industry. This is a summary of my cv
•More than 6 years of experience as an analytical development chemist within university research and the pharmaceutical industry.
•Expertise HPLC, LC-MS/MS, GC, GC-MS, FTIR, UV-VIS, NIR, NMR, TLC, Fluorometer, Perchorlic Acid Titrator, Polarimeter, Dissolution techniques Crystallization, Distillation techniques and other methods of analysis.
•Proven track record in the development and validation of new test methods.
•Familiar with compliance requirements within cGMP, safety and regulatory environments.
•Outstanding written and verbal communication.
•Experience as analytical project leader.

My original degree is s four year honours degree in biopharmaceutical sciences which is best described as a analytical chemistry/biotech/biochemistry degree. I decided to do a masters recently in asia specfically malaysia where i did my research on indigenous jungle tribe mushroom and extract the bioactive compounds using Techniques such as GC-MS, LC-MS-MS, HPLC, TLC, solvent extraction, solid phase extraction/fractionation (SPE), crystallization and distillation techniques. I will get a tier 2 journal paper published from this work.

Anyways my question is....the masters i did in malaysia was called masters of biotech (the taught part) and the research was obviously analytical chemistry. Do you think an employer will look down on the biotech part if he is hiring as an analytical chemist???? please i would love to know your opinion?...my opinion is that if i did a taught analytical chemistry programme i would not learn much as i knew most the theory....and i think biotech and analytical chemistry cross over in alot of techniques
The trick is: can you match up your experience and knowledge with what an employer is looking for. If you answer a job posting in which the job requries specific knoledge and skills, you write a cover letter showing how you meet all of these based on your background. If you can do that, you have made a step forward.

You have a long list of analytical techniques - but the important question is what can you do with them? Your resume should include accomplishments -- how were you valuable to the company. When you developed methods, did you follow steps written down by someone else? Did the development depend on your knowledge of sample preparation techniques and instrumental capabilities?
Thanks for your answer: but how do i put that into my CV...........i was really self thought with no guidence....basically my first job was research for a pharma company and i was thrown in the deep end with a manager that didnt really know anything about validation. i had to research and educate myself...develope the methods for the listed analytical techniques. My accomplishments are developing a range of methods for new products licenses.... THAT WORKED!! should i name specific pharma products on my CV?

I have posted below my current CV...you think it covers it??

July 2010- Present: University Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Position held: Research Analytical Chemist
• Responsibilities included: Chemically profiled the secondary metabolites of Panus giganteus.
• Method development performed on a wide range of analytical techniques.
• Techniques involved were GC-MS, LC-MS-MS, HPLC, TLC, solvent extraction, solid phase extraction/fractionation (SPE), crystallization and distillation techniques.
• Proof reading of scientific journals and thesis’s.

Oct 2006-May 2010: Athlone Laboratories, Ballymurray, Roscommon, Ireland
Position held: Senior Analytical Development Chemist, R & D Department
• Responsibilities included: Researched, developed, validated and introduced new test methods for raw materials and pharmaceutical finished products according to UKMRHA, TGA, ICH and IMB guidelines.
• Performed analysis with analytical instrumentation such as HPLC (PDA & UV), FTIR, NIR, TLC, Karl Fischer, Perchoric acid titrator and Dissolution.
• HPLC chromatography techniques used were IC-HPLC and RP-HPLC.
• Other analysis performed were Heavy Metals, Water Analysis (Turbidity, pH, Conductivity), Clarity of Solution, Solubility, Titrations, Elemental Analysis and Loss on Drying.
• Wrote technical reports to document analytical methods and transferred documented analytical methods to the QC department.
• Worked under minimal supervision and in a team environment.
• Prepared laboratory documentation, e.g. SOP's, validation protocols, validation reports in support of product license submission.
• Studied effects of various methods of processing, preserving, and packaging on composition and properties of finished products.
• Provided training, technical guidance / trouble shooting to laboratory staff.
• Laboratory Safety Representative at company safety committee.
• Performed environmental testing on production water.
• Analytical Project Leader.
• Reason for leaving position: To pursue master’s degree.

Oct 2005-Oct 2006: Cambrex Corporation, Little Island, Cork, Ireland
Position held: Analytical Development Chemist, R & D Department
• Responsibilities included: Researched, developed, validated and introduced new test methods for raw material, intermediates and API’s according to USFDA guidelines.
• Performed analysis with analytical instrumentation such as HPLC (RI & UV), GC,
GC-MS, TLC, Karl Fischer, Polarimeter, Perchorlic Assay, NMR.
• HPLC chromatography techniques used were Chiral chromatography and RP-HPLC.
• Other analysis performed were Heavy Metals, Residue on Ignition, Specific Optical Rotation, Clarity of Solution, Solubility, Titrations, pH, Conductivity and Elemental Analysis.
• Wrote technical reports to document analytical methods and transferred documented analytical methods to the QC department.
• Carried out risk assessments on new chemicals being introduced. Provided training on safety awareness for new chemicals.
• Developed, validated and introduced cleaning validations.
• Performed environmental testing on production water and waste water.
• Analytical project leader.
• Reason for leaving position: Company facility changed owners.
Apr-Sept 2005: Boston Scientific Corporation, Ballybrit Business Park, Galway, Ireland
Position held: Analytical Chemist, Analytical Department
• Responsibilities included: Analytically tested stent drug coating solution (medical devices) by HPLC.
• Total solids testing of stent drug coating solution.
• Testing of raw materials using FT-IR.
• Reviewed batch paperwork.
• Calibrated instruments.
• Fourth year research project based upon Quality Management System of Boston Scientific.
• Reason for leaving position: Opportunity to further career growth.

Feb- May 2002: Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology, Galway, Ireland
Position held: Research Analytical Chemist (Third Year Project)
• Responsibilities included: investigated the presence of aminopeptidases in the gonads of fish using a fluorometric assay to detect fluorescently tagged amino acids.

Feb-Sept 2001: Cambridge Diagnostics, Mervue Business Park, Galway
Position held: QC Biochemist, Technical Department
• Responsibilities included: quality testing of antibodies for in vitro diagnostic products.
• Carried out investigations into out of specifications and deviations.
• Reviewing of paperwork.
• Calibrating and use of a UV-Vis spec.

Sept-Nov 2000: Foodtech Laboratories, Clondakin, Dublin
Position held: Analyst
• Responsibilities included: microbiologically & chemically analyzed food components.
• Discussed with customers results of analysis and their effect on their products.
This is going to sound harsh, but you are not doing yourself any favours with a CV full of inappropriate capitalizations and with chemical names spelled wrong. And according to your CV your first job was at a food lab, not a pharma lab.

Every job gets dozens or hundreds of applicants, the first screening is done by HR, using criteria that are fast and simple to apply, and that cannot later be challenged on grounds of discrimination etc, Assuming that you meet the basic job requirements (and if you don't why apply ?) then errors in the CV or covering letter just paint a big target on your chest.

Peter
Peter Apps
Can your question be formulated this way, do you need the relevant educational qualification to a particular job.
For most jobs you need. Say when you sign report of analysis as Master of Analytical Chemistry or Master of Biotechnology, the 1st one is more convincing to a client who is after a reputable analytical result/report.
"If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment." Rutherford
seamoro wrote:
Hey, just wondering what you think? maybe im a bit paranoid but do you think my qualifactions are a disadvantage?

Well, you need to be more careful in your spelling and grammar in a CV or application. qualifications, not qualifactions. Don't start off with "Hey".

seamoro wrote:
•More than 6 years of experience as an analytical development chemist within university research and the pharmaceutical industry.
•Expertise HPLC, LC-MS/MS, GC, GC-MS, FTIR, UV-VIS, NIR, NMR, TLC, Fluorometer, Perchorlic Acid Titrator, Polarimeter, Dissolution techniques Crystallization, Distillation techniques and other methods of analysis.

I have 30 years in-lab experience,a nd I would NEVER, EVER claim "expertise" in so many areas, not believable, and especially in 6 years. "Experienced" would be a more-believable terminology. 6 years is "nuthin" !!!
seamoro wrote:
•Outstanding written and verbal communication.

I'd drop the above. It's a waste of space just because it's so commonly included that it has become a cliché.

Personally, I would not hold the MA against you as I would be interested in how good a match your experience is with what I'm looking for.

I also agree that experience is a better term than expertise (unless your name is Guichon, Dolan, Jupille...). It is also a good idea to draw a distinction between "I've run this" and "I've developed methods for this".
Thanks,
DR
I'd try to make the list look more concise and less like a telephone-directory.
If anyone looks down on you because you have the "wrong" sort of degree, unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it, so don't worry. Look at each individual employer to whom you are considering sending your CV, and try to select those parts of your career that most match the prospective job. Of course you should try to show a continuous career, but having decided what length you want your CV to be, try to make most of the text obviously interesting to the company who will read it.

Oh, and a tiny extra: when you get an interview, try to make sure you know what the company actually does. I know someone who always asks this as his interview question ("... you understand why XXX exists and what we do?" or "so you've looked at our website and like what we do?"). It's surprising how often he gets replies along the lines "oh, actually I just need a job and thought the advert looked OK..." which isn't exactly flattering.
seamoro wrote:
This is a summary of my cv:
Proven track record in the development and validation of new test methods.
Familiar with compliance requirements within cGMP, safety and regulatory environments.
Outstanding written and verbal communication.
Experience as analytical project leader.

As a Manager who gets to while away many hours reading applicant CV/resumes when the company is hiring. Items in Bold tend to pique my interest in a negative manner.

For the proven track record, I'd include numbers of methods developed and validated (you don't have to identify them just give the reader an idea of the volume of this type of work you have done). Also to what standard was the validation done was it to GxP/ICH standard?

"Familiar with" and 'Knowledge of" seem to be standard euphamism for "read about in a book once". If you have physically worked in any GxP type environments, I would reword this section.

Outstanding on what scale and rated by whom? The CV/Resume and covering letter should convey your written communication skills and your verbal skills can be assessed in the interview if you get one. I'd reccomend dropping this down to "Good". If not you could be setting yourself up for disappointment.

"Experience" For how long? you should definitely put a time frame in this one.
Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
This is a minor rant inspired by JGK's very sensible comments.

I hate this whole blow-your-own trumpet aspect of CV writing. It varies so much from one culture to another. I am in the UK, where traditionally a person who has done something all his/her life will say "Oh yes, I may be able to help; I've got a little experience in that area". We're now meeting, daily, cultures where it's appropriate to describe yourself as an Expert if you've been on a 1-week course. It doesn't really matter how skill-levels are described, provided the writer and the reader are using the same scale. Hopefully interviewers and HR departments know that.

But more importantly, the knowledge needed to do a job is often very similar to the knowledge needed to assess whether you can do a job. By definition, incompetent people rarely have the ability to see they're incompetent (the exception should be where the outcome is easy to assess; I know I'm bad at chess because I always lose. But even here, fools are good at self-deception). A typical example is self-assessment of ability with Microsoft Office. Recently I had to self-assess my experience and abilities as a chromatographer, and on a scale of "done it once/basic knowledge" to "outstanding/expert" put myself as "good", because I know there are loads of people much, much better (I've met them!). I was already expanding from "average" which was my honest assessment. I'm pretty sure one or two people with a lot less experience than me rated themselves much higher, but they aren't sufficiently experienced to have met anyone better than themselves, so how could they know?

Any assessment is worthless unless you know how good the assessor is. Self-assessment is therefore always completely worthless, because if you have independent evidence that the assessor is good, you don't need their self-assessment, and if you don't, you can't believe it.

For this reason, the only bits of a CV that I take seriously are the factual bits. If a person has worked in a good company, has attended good courses, comes from a good University, these are good. That they consider themselves to have outstanding organisational abilities leaves me utterly unmoved.

Rant over! Sorry if I've offended anyone, and please, original poster, don't take this as any reflection on your abilities. Good luck with your applications!
lmh

If you ever stand for public office you have my vote :salut:

Peter
Peter Apps
From my own résumé - toward bottom of current job responsibilities:

Assisted with all aspects of technical computing and data acquisition for the group including specifying hardware and software requirements. Expert level user of: Microsoft Excel, WordPerfect, Windows and PE Nelson's AccessChrom & TurboChrom C/S systems. System Administrator and expert user of Waters Empower CDS. Proficient in the use of other Microsoft Office products and many other PC software packages.

By "Expert level" I mean that many people routinely come to me to help them figure out how to get things done in those programs and that my comments on some of them have been published. I've also trained others in how to use them for company specific purposes and/or authored procedures on same. Being a system administrator for a CDS pretty well makes you at least a competent user of it (unless you're one of IT's Oracle people stuck with the task).

By "Proficient in...", I mean to convey that I'm competent to the point that I rarely, if ever have to call the local experts to find out how to get things done.

As to "Outstanding written communication", I'd rather let my cover letter and résumé speak to that directly.

@JGK - rated by whom :wink:
Thanks,
DR
DR wrote:
@JGK - rated by whom :wink:

In my defence, I was educated in England where for some unknown reason the state education system does not teach English grammar in "English" lessons (perhaps we are supposed to take it in by osmosis). This is probably the reason I failed my English O-level exam 4 times before achieving a passing grade (this despite never having been given a failing grade in 5 years and getting into the top stream of English classes in school). :roll:
Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
OK this is the new improved CV. Try to take on board all your advice...Thanks alot for your help

Objective
Seeking a challenging senior analytical development chemist position where my experience in liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry and other analytical techniques will be utilized.
Professional Summary
• More than six years of experience as an analytical development chemist within university research and the pharmaceutical industry.
• Experience in HPLC, LC/MS/MS, GC, GC-MS, FTIR, UV-visible spectrophotometer, NIR, NMR, TLC, fluorometer, perchloric acid titrator, polarimeter, dissolution techniques, crystallization, distillation techniques and other methods of analysis.
• Proven track record in the research, development and validation of analytical techniques for new products.
• Experience in researching, developing and validating over forty methods with various analytical techniques in accordance with UKMRHA, TGA, ICH, EMEA, FDA and IMB guidelines.
• Experience as analytical project leader (three years).

Educational Details
• Masters of Biotechnology specializing in analytical chemistry (taught and research programme) (2012).
Research: isolation and identification of bioactive compounds from fresh fruiting bodies of Panus giganteus.

Location: Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology, Galway, Ireland
• B.Sc. (Hons) In Applied Biopharmaceutical & Healthcare Science specializing in analytical chemistry/biochemistry/ biotechnology/microbiology(2005),
2.1 upper second class honours (class position: top 10%)

Work Experience
July 2010- Present: University Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Position held: Research Analytical Chemist
• Responsibilities included: isolation and identification of bioactive compounds from fresh fruiting bodies of Panus giganteus.
• Method development performed on a wide range of analytical techniques.
• Techniques involved were GC-MS (Agilent), LC/MS/MS (AB Sciex), HPLC (WATERS), TLC, solvent extraction, solid phase extraction/fractionation, and crystallization and distillation techniques.
• Mass spectrum interpretation and fragmentation.

Oct 2006-May 2010: Athlone Laboratories, Ballymurray, Roscommon, Ireland
Position held: Senior Analytical Development Chemist, R & D Department
• Responsibilities included: researched, developed, validated and introduced new test methods for raw materials and pharmaceutical finished products according to UKMRHA, TGA, ICH, EMEA and IMB guidelines.
• Researched, developed and validated methods using mainly HPLC (PDA & UV) involving chromatographic methods such as IC-HPLC and RP-HPLC.
• System Administrator and expert user of Waters Empower CDS.
• Other analytical techniques in which method development was performed were FTIR, NIR, TLC, karl fischer, perchloric acid titrator, dissolution, heavy metals, water analysis (turbidity, pH, and conductivity), clarity of solution, solubility, titrations, elemental analysis and loss on drying.
• Prepared laboratory documentation, e.g. SOP's, validation protocols, validation reports in support of product license submission.
• Studied effects of various methods of processing, preserving, and packaging on composition and properties of finished products.
• Provided training, technical guidance / trouble shooting to laboratory staff.
• Laboratory safety representative at company safety committee.
• Performed environmental testing on production water.
• Reason for leaving position: to pursue master’s degree.
Oct 2005-Oct 2006: Cambrex Corporation, Little Island, Cork, Ireland
Position held: Analytical Development Chemist, R & D Department
• Responsibilities included: researched, developed, validated and introduced new test methods for raw material, intermediates and API’s according to USFDA guidelines.
• Researched, developed and validated methods using mainly HPLC (RI & UV) involving chromatographic methods such as chiral HPLC and RP-HPLC.
• System administrator and expert user of Agilent ChemStation and Dionex Chromeleon software.
• Other analytical techniques in which method development was performed were GC,
GC-MS, TLC, karl fischer, polarimeter, perchorlic assay heavy metals, residue on ignition, specific optical rotation, clarity of solution, solubility, titrations, pH, conductivity , elemental analysis and NMR.
• Mass spectrum interpretation and fragmentation.
• Carried out risk assessments on new chemicals being introduced. Provided training on safety awareness for new chemicals.
• Developed, validated and introduced cleaning validations.
• Performed environmental testing on production water and waste water.
• Reason for leaving position: company facility changed owners.
Apr-Sept 2005: Boston Scientific Corporation, Ballybrit Business Park, Galway, Ireland
Position held: Analytical Chemist, Analytical Department
• Responsibilities included: analytically tested stent drug coating solution (medical devices) by HPLC (WATERS).
• Total solids testing of stent drug coating solution.
• Testing of raw materials using FTIR.
• Reviewed batch paperwork.
• Calibrated instruments.
• Fourth year research project based upon quality management system of Boston Scientific.
• Reason for leaving position: opportunity to further career growth.

Feb- May 2002: Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology, Galway, Ireland
Position held: Research Analytical Chemist (Third Year Project)
• Responsibilities included: investigated the presence of aminopeptidases in the gonads of fish using a fluorometric assay to detect fluorescently tagged amino acids.

Feb-Sept 2001: Cambridge Diagnostics, Mervue Business Park, Galway
Position held: QC Biochemist, Technical Department
• Responsibilities included: quality testing of antibodies for in vitro diagnostic products.
• Carried out investigations into out of specifications and deviations.
• Reviewing of paperwork.
• Calibrating and use of a UV-visible spectrophotometer.

Sept-Nov 2000: Foodtech Laboratories, Clondakin, Dublin
Position held: Analyst
• Responsibilities included: microbiologically & chemically analyzed food components.
• Discussed with customers results of analysis and their effect on their products.

Skills and Training
• Comprehensive computer skills: Microsoft word, excel, power point, minitab & Microsoft project.
• Analytical team project leader.
• Critical thinking.
• Record keeping.
• Analytical problem solving.
• Safety conscious.
• Basic Malay and French.
• Excellent knowledge of biotechnology.

Publications
• Isolation and identification of bioactive compounds from fresh fruiting bodies of Panus giganteus (Under Review)

Training Certificates
• Waters photodiode array detector (HPLC) course 2010.
• Bahasa Malaysia basic language course (2011).

References

Upon request

Shouldn't this be 'theses'?

Good Luck!
17 posts Page 1 of 2