LCGC America articles

Off-topic conversations and chit-chat.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Don't know if anyone else is bothered, but I don't like LCGC America's new practice of putting their articles online in HTML format rather than PDF. Clunky, slow navigation, and no more offline viewing or archiving. Sure, the PDFs are a little bigger so more bandwidth is needed, but isn't this is the age of high-speed internet connections?
Shame, imo.

It's a "mixed bag".

On the one hand, it certainly makes it harder to download the whole article and read it off-line (bypassing the ads, which may be part of their motivation!).

On the other hand, on my system (Mozilla Firefox), the entire pdf has to load before you can do anything (there's probably a preference setting somewhere that will fix that, but I haven't found it yet), so I actually find the new format easier/quicker for on-line browsing.
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374

It seems IE6 will display the PDF as it loads, though the handful of articles I just tested loaded pretty quickly. I've seen in the past however, bad "downloads" from the LCGC America site such that I could appreciate your frustration if you were having to wait for the full article to load. Browsing this way, you need it to be displayed before you even know it's working. Therefore I generally preferred to d/l all interesting articles and view them offline.

I agree with respect to the adverts, however there are some adverts already displayed on the home page. I wouldn't mind if the PDF article still had the regular adverts in them just like the hard copy (I view LCGC America online because I'm in the UK). I can only presume they get added in later when going to press.
3 posts Page 1 of 1