Mis-conceptions about analysts

Off-topic conversations and chit-chat.

23 posts Page 1 of 2
Does anyone have any good anecdotes about our profession?
My favourite is that we just fill up a vial with our sample,press a button and the computer says pass/fail or xx.xx mg/L.
WK

Doesn't work that way. I have to wave the "tri-corder" around first (but at least I don't need to put anything in the vial). :wink:
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374

Another misconception is over holidays. It is amazing how many samples appear just before holidays. People seem to submit samples expecting them to be done by the time they return from holidays. Analysts are people too....we need holidays as well.
GCguy

I thought that we are slowly getting over the problem of forced labor by analytical chemists. I just read an article from a friend of mine in a German lab magazine that described the day of an analytical chemist as follows:

He comes in in the morning, gets his cup of coffee, then downloads all the analytical results generated automatically in the overlight runs to his computer. He then spends some time going over the data to make sure that everything worked ok. Then he authorizes the data, which are then send automatically back to the investigator in a format that is readable to the run-of-the-mill chemist (as opposed to THE ANALYTICAL CHEMIST).

He looks at the box for the incoming samples. It has not yet filled, since the organic chemists are too slow: they have not yet worked up their overnight syntheses. So he sets up all his instruments to do a few calibration runs and goes to the gym. After the gym, he takes a nap in the company-provided napping room, from where he goes to lunch.

After lunch, the box with the incoming samples has filled up. He separates the samples into different tracks for sample preparation. Then the automated sample preparation routine starts, and he goes to get a cup of coffee. After this, he checks if the sample preparation is complete, and he now distributes the samples to the different analytical instruments, selects the correct method, and then goes back to his desk, while the automated analytical runs are starting up. He goes to his computer and spends the rest of his day brushing up on the latest literature in analytical chemistry, just before retiring to his home for a well deserved quiet evening with the family.

The life of an analytical chemist is wonderful!

PS: I did not translate the article, I just described the general idea.

You convinced me, I want to be an analytical chemist! Not sure what I am now, I thought I was one but apparently I am not. Where do I go to apply for one of these jobs?

Must be in Germany, since it was published in a German lab magazine. I have not seen a place like this in the US yet.

It could also have been wishful thinking, since the article was published just before Christmas...

Oh, I forgot to mention that our happy analytical chemist purchases all his buffers preprepared from a company with the name of Buffers-R-Us, founded by a guy named Bill Tindall in 2005 after reading these messages.

I was just wondering, does the article mention if the equipment is from Waters?

No, the article did not mention any manufacturers.

Since my own lab is filled with Waters equipment and columns, it did not occur to me that there might be any other manufacturers... :D
If it seems to be easy to be a chemist analyst, people belive that research chemist analyst are the happiest people in the world.

New kind of sample !! Organic synthetic chemist change the conditions for a new product or way to obtain a product... ç

They come to your laboratory and say: Just inject and tell me how good is the sample !!...

:evil: :evil: In this moment the hardest work is to make sample talks and explaint to you what's different....

And be carefull not to change HPLC conditions,.... the image is different from the first time that you pass the sample ..... Why are you changing HPLC conditions ??? You only have to inject !!!!
When asking me to help often I find that someone doesn't think through the aim of their request - and I often end up planning it for them.
I detest the mis-use of specific gravity instead of density.
I also detest the omission of units of measurement.
I often get asked to determine "residual solvent" - the originator knows what solvent and assumes I'm telepathic so I end up having to ask which one anyway.

You could ask them if they have any small animals you could sacrifice to take the auspices to determine the solvent. Or tell them they apparently misunderstood, you are psychotic, not psychic. This is more effective if you are handling a sharp object when you announce this. :D

Ohh, I thought all analysis job was done in India and that the guy at the computer only needed to push the "OK" button between the coffe breaks.

(Once that was the method for me to encourage students to learn more and to be more competitive in their skills)
------------------------
Merck SeQuant AB
http://www.sequant.com

To WK from Jan 13th request of analytical anedotes: Try to consider us as "Sample Jockeys".

Also I found in Acedemia, that certain people who hand you a sample or large group of samples, not only want it done yesterday but they are wondering why it hasn't been before you were born! Well good things do come slowly but these people think the world was created in 6 six days. And they don't expect you to rest on the seventh :shock: !
Oh well just venting boiler pressure.

The organic chemists often ask for strength and imps on a sample, I ask "What imps?" they say "the usual ones".... helpful.
We ask the organic chemist for an idea of what sort of strength they are looking for, to ensure that we get within the linearity of the method. The chemists seem reluctant to tell us in case we make up the result!
I feel that I can talk about the chemists like this as I used to be one until I saw the light and became an analyst.
GCguy
23 posts Page 1 of 2