Work clothes...

Off-topic conversations and chit-chat.

34 posts Page 2 of 3

At our company there is no dress code, and we have uniforms provided for us. Blue work shirts and jeans. After a year there they finally got lab coats for the chemists, which have been a life saver. No matter how many times the uniform company washes the shirts and pants the epoxy resin will NOT come out. . .

Something I did not expect, however, was that it would take twice as long for my uniforms to come back from the cleaners as others'. I require "tall" and "long" uniforms which evidently take twice as long to clean. My lab coats showed up nearly six weeks after the rest of the lab staffs'!

Steel toed boots are a must as they have us out on the production floor on occasion.

After discovering that I was the "company canary" (my skin is extremely sensitive) I began wearing a full faced respirator whenever I went onto the manufacturing floor. I also wear it in the lab during new R&D projects, reasoning that I can't be too careful. Anyone else have that pleasure?

I have found some interesting differences in lab dress between the US and Europe. No one would wear flip-flops in the lab i Europe and no one would wear socks and sandals in the US.
Petrus Hemstrom
MerckSequant
Umea, Sweden

NALI wrote:
I began wearing a full faced respirator whenever I went onto the manufacturing floor. I also wear it in the lab during new R&D projects, reasoning that I can't be too careful. Anyone else have that pleasure?

Yup! (Well, kind of.)

John

I once worked in a semi-production scale lab using anhydrous HF as one of the raw materials. Full air fed acid suit with a big clear hood section.It felt a bit James Bond mad scientist, but believe me the novelty wore off quickly after the first 12 hour shift!

GCguy
GCguy

Around here it is pretty strcik regarding what to wear when full time in lab but not otherwise like in office.

Lab: 100% white cotton trousers, t-shirts and coat+ glasses, gloves depending on what you do. Shoes covering foot/toes. (company provided clothes).
I get away with coat and glasses if I just need to sneak in and check a result or so.

Currently I am in jeans,t-shirt and sandals.

Jiri Urban wrote:
university labs (europe) - jeans and (occasionally) white shirt

Jiri,

does this mean that you only occasionally wore a shirt in the lab? :D That is a bold fashion statement. You know what they say: no shoes no shirt no service... But is makes sense. Clothes usually end up with holes anyway. Especially when perfoming (chloro)sulfonations on PS/DVB...

sorry, couldn't resist...
--
Robert Haefele

Many years ago my father told me......
When you know stuff all wear a tie.

So I did.
Then took it off when I got the Lab Managers job.

However.

Our site standard is antistatic outer clothing, lab coats, and safety boots in the labs. Smart casual in offices.

Hehehe.. I wear whatever is most comfortable regarding temp and weather of the day.. oh, and also labcoat when doing labwork, but otherwise no dress code!

hmm.. I have to order some new latex gloves for the lab, though.. we're out!

University labs here are not so strict... :wink:

shoes + long pants/jeans.

shirt is almost optional.
GC-TCD/NPD (Agilent 7890)
GC-MS (Agilent 6890)
GC-TCD/uECD (HP 5890) - "Ole Miss"
GC-TCD (Carle)
GC-TCD/FID (SRI)
IC - (Dionex ICS-3000 + AS1/ERG)

rhaefe wrote:
Jiri Urban wrote:
university labs (europe) - jeans and (occasionally) white shirt

Jiri, does this mean that you only occasionally wore a shirt in the lab?

:-)

occasionally white

I should have learned how to use parentheses ;-)
HPLC 2017 in Prague, http://hplc2017-prague.org/
I wear port authority k540 polo shirt with dickies pant, tuck in have a look https://www.apparelshopusa.com/silk-tou ... 84249.html
I wore a tie on the day of my interview and have not put it on since, and that was almost 30 years ago lol. Normal clothes are just jeans and decent shirt. Don't want to wear anything that I would not want to have ruined for sure.

Dress code for lab is neat clothes, must cover down to the feet and have solid toe shoes and socks if the pants don't go to the shoes. I normally wear a pair of mid top leather work boots just for safety. Have to get after some of the women who like to wear short shoes and no socks sometimes, but not too often.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
Khaki's and usually a button down or collared/polo shirt in summer and in winter I often wear sweaters. It gets chilly in the lab here in Chicago. It's going to be single digit temps degF the next couple days. I practically am going to want to huddle next to the GC oven to stay warm.

Since I am wearing a lab coat the shirt doesn't make much difference, I could wear an obnoxious t-shirt and noone would know.
MSCHemist wrote:
Khaki's and usually a button down or collared/polo shirt in summer and in winter I often wear sweaters. It gets chilly in the lab here in Chicago. It's going to be single digit temps degF the next couple days. I practically am going to want to huddle next to the GC oven to stay warm.

Since I am wearing a lab coat the shirt doesn't make much difference, I could wear an obnoxious t-shirt and noone would know.

In the low teens F here this week, and I wear my insulated bibs to work and while I am changing out the gas cylinders, which someone thought would be smart to put in an outside unheated rack. Without gloves my hands would freeze to the cylinder caps lol.

One guy in the department has been wearing one of the battery heated hunting vest to keep warm, though I don't think it is that bad.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
Every lab I've been in thankfully has allowed (non-holey) jeans and clean, not torn, non-offensive t-shirts. And of course closed toe shoes.

My favorite policy was summed up very inclusively and succinctly as "no skin showing below the navel."

Although it has been a personal new years' resolution of mine to start wearing collared polo shirts to work instead of various anime/tv t-shirts ... but that's just me. Guess I've binged too many Queer Eye episodes :lol:
"Have you tried explaining it to the rubber duck?"
34 posts Page 2 of 3