comparison of GC, HPLC and TLC

Basic questions from students; resources for projects and reports.

10 posts Page 1 of 1
I have a problem with finding information which allow me to compare facts about Gas Chromatography, High Performance Liquid Chromatography and Thin Layer Chromatography. Do you know any interesting pages, where I find this information.

Moreover if you are able to write some instructions and main points of this comparison I would be very grateful. I have very big problem with finding out anything about this, because I have founde many WWW pages about the methods of chromatography no one of which doesn't consists of data that I'm interested in.

Thank you so much for any kind of help!! :)

-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
I would be very greatful for information about the differences between TLC, HPLC and GC chromatography :)

Biggest difference:
- in gas chromatography (GC) the mobile phase is a gas
- in liquid chromatography (HPLC and TLC) the mobile phase is a liquid.

Within liquid chromatography:
- in HPLC the liquid mobile phase is pumped through a column packed with the stationary phase.
- in TLC the liquid mobile phase moves by capillarity through a thin layer of stationary phase.

See the other links referenced in posts on this board for definition of "mobile phase" and "stationary phase".
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374

HPLC - high performance liquid chromatography or high pressure liguid chromatography

mobile phase is liquid

stationary phase is solid/liquid

2 types normal phase ...stationary phase polar n mobile phase non polar

reverse phase...stationary phase non polar n mobile phase polar

GC - Gas chroamtography

mobile phase is Gas

stationary phase is liquid or solid...GSC or GLC

used for analytes that are gaseous at the chromatographic condition

Both are column chromatography

while TLC thin layer chromatography is planar chromatography

where stationary phase is solid mostly silica gel G

n mobile phase is liquid or mixture of liquids.

try to search on google or in books each separately n look out for differences...u won't find the difference unless u understand each chromatographic separation procedure.

the difference above is very general.

regards

diya
:D Ok I'll do it;) Maybe you know some interesting books about chromatography? Because in my language (Polish) there is less information about it.

In HPLC u pump the mobile phase at high pressure 1000-3000 psi

since the stationary phase particles are very small less than 10 micron.

mode of separation can be partition if SP is liquid
adsorption if SP is solid
modified version can be ion exchange chroma
affinity chroma
size exclusion chroma
Recent developments in HPLC microbore chroma n super critical chroma

In TLC ur solute moves up through the stationary phase (SP) by the capillary action of mobile phase.

In GC the mode of separation can be partition if its GLC

adsorption if its GLC

ur MP mobile phase is gas n ur analyte (the sample for analysis) is vaporised.

regards

diya
Now I know what to search:) I am very grateful for every information:)
kasia wrote:
Now I know what to search:) I am very grateful for every information:)

Kasia,

if You need help from a not so far chromatograher write any questions (also in Polish ) to me.

Pozdrowenia

Regards

Bernd
bm

Thx, I've sent You mail. It is in Polish, I hope that you will have no problem with it. I will be very gratefull for Your help!
10 posts Page 1 of 1