VERY basic question about installing thermometers

Basic questions from students; resources for projects and reports.

8 posts Page 1 of 1
So, I'm a geology major, and I have practically no experience in scientific ovens. (the only things I've done with ovens is bake cookies and dry sediment).

I've got 2 HP 5890 Series II Gas Chromatographs in my lab, and I need to install thermometers. (Probably Extech EA10 EasyView Dual Input Thermometers).

HP doesn't support the chromatographs anymore, and I haven't found anything online so far that explains things at my level how to do this.

My questions are:
1) Will this thermometer work with this oven?
2) How do I hook it up?

The thermometer manual is here:
http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/extec ... manual.pdf

and the chromatograph manual is here:
http://photos.labwrench.com/equipmentMa ... 8-6712.pdf

Thanks, hope I don't offend anyone with a question this basic...
Welcome to the forum.

Do you need to simply measure the temperature of some zone in the GC - the oven for instance, or do you need to use the thermometer to control the temperature of a zone ?

To measure temperatures, what you have looks OK, just put the thermocouple in the zone you want to know the temperature of. I'm not so sure about using it as part of a control circuit - GCs usually use 100 ohm resistance probes, not thermocouples.

Peter.
Peter Apps
Hi

How exactly do you wish to use the GC oven and why do you want to install a digital thermometer?

Kind regards

Ralph
Regards

Ralph
"Welcome to the forum.

Do you need to simply measure the temperature of some zone in the GC - the oven for instance, or do you need to use the thermometer to control the temperature of a zone ?

To measure temperatures, what you have looks OK, just put the thermocouple in the zone you want to know the temperature of. I'm not so sure about using it as part of a control circuit - GCs usually use 100 ohm resistance probes, not thermocouples.

Peter."

Thanks Peter. We just need to be able to log the temperature of the oven without opening it. The controls the GC oven comes with are sufficient for our needs.

My problem is that I'm not sure how to connect the GC oven to the thermometer. If anyone has a similar GC oven and thermometer and can post an image of their set-up, that would be awesome.

"Hi

How exactly do you wish to use the GC oven and why do you want to install a digital thermometer?

Kind regards

Ralph"

Thanks Ralph. We use the oven to do programmed pyrolysis of rocks in reactors.

We need to install the digital thermometer to comply with a new quality management system.
Hi Javinh

Your reply is interesting and helpful.

Would simply inserting a thermocouple, connected to your digital thermometer, through the top oven wall of the 5890 with manual visual reading and recording of the oven temperature from the thermometer be enough to meet your requirements?

If so, we can suggest ways to do this to avoid damage to the 5890

I take it that you are simply wishing to heat up your sample and want to record the oven temperature?

You are not looking at the volatiles from rocks nor looking at the heat adsorption profile of a sample (thermal analysis) as it is heated up?

Probably wrongly, the temperature programming along with geology alerted me to the fact that you might be trying thermal adsorption analysis Those would be entirely different queries

Auto correct tried to correct "thermocouple" to "thermonuclear" :-)

Regards

Ralph
Regards

Ralph
GOM wrote:
Hi Javinh

Your reply is interesting and helpful.

Would simply inserting a thermocouple, connected to your digital thermometer, through the top oven wall of the 5890 with manual visual reading and recording of the oven temperature from the thermometer be enough to meet your requirements?

If so, we can suggest ways to do this to avoid damage to the 5890

I take it that you are simply wishing to heat up your sample and want to record the oven temperature?

You are not looking at the volatiles from rocks nor looking at the heat adsorption profile of a sample (thermal analysis) as it is heated up?

Probably wrongly, the temperature programming along with geology alerted me to the fact that you might be trying thermal adsorption analysis Those would be entirely different queries

Auto correct tried to correct "thermocouple" to "thermonuclear" :-)

Regards

Ralph

Exactly. All we want to do is heat up the oven and get an additional oven temperature readings, to make sure the oven thermometer doesn't go wonky.

If you can help me avoid damage to the 5890 and not have any thermonuclear activity in the lab, that would be extremely helpful.
If you have a look at the interior walls of the oven you will find some ports that are designed for various things to go in or out through. Find one that lines up with a hole on the outside, or on the top, poke a little hole through the insulation between the two and thread your thermocouple through it.

Peter
Peter Apps
Peter Apps wrote:
If you have a look at the interior walls of the oven you will find some ports that are designed for various things to go in or out through. Find one that lines up with a hole on the outside, or on the top, poke a little hole through the insulation between the two and thread your thermocouple through it.

Peter

Awesome, thanks!
8 posts Page 1 of 1