By Anonymous on Wednesday, December 3, 2003 - 07:20 am:

I have to write a research paper on chromatography. If anyone has ANY information that might help me, please post it!
Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Anonymous on Wednesday, December 3, 2003 - 09:01 am:

No problem:
you have liquid chromatography, paper chromatography, thin layer chromatograpy, gas chromatography, ...

When you have read this, you can do your homework.
By your own!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Anonymous on Wednesday, December 3, 2003 - 10:25 am:

Do some research on Tswett.

By Anonymous on Wednesday, December 3, 2003 - 12:40 pm:

Look into partitioning between phases. I prefer oil/water systems, but of course there are many others. A little discussion of mass transfer never hurt anyone.

Also, to juice it up, look at competition between ion chromatography instrumentation vendors. It can get quite colorful!

Best of luck!

By Anonymous on Wednesday, December 3, 2003 - 01:42 pm:

Actually if you're going to do it and do it right you should dive right into the misnomered "phase collapse" when using 100% aqueous. This should get you into a whole slew of aqueous reverse phase columns, which is definitely where you want to go with this project. Also given that the semester is almost up, you might want to start on these projects a little earlier.

By Anonymous on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 03:53 pm:

I was only told about this paper one week ago.

By Anonymous on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 04:06 pm:

In addition to my last message I would like to clarify one thing.
Thank you to those who were helpful, I appreciate the information, and to those who weren't so helpful: I was researching sites for my paper when I found this forum, you all seemed to know a lot about chromatography, and I thought you might be able to share your knowledge with me. I see I was wrong. I am a gifted student who was just interested in making my paper a little better.

By bookoon on Friday, December 5, 2003 - 12:24 am:

hi, can you please provide some details about what you want to include in your paper? chromatography is a very vast subject..that explains the post by Annon Dec 3, 09.01 am.

If you want some general explanation, you may try out the "Encyclopedia of anlaytical chemistry" (willey)

take care

By Anonymous on Friday, December 5, 2003 - 06:07 am:

Try reading "Milestones in Chromatography" by Leslie Ettre

By Anonymous on Saturday, December 6, 2003 - 12:42 pm:

Dear bookoon,
My teacher wants a paper on what chromatography is and how it works and is used. She wants us to describe three kinds of chromatography and explain how/what they are used (for).
What types of chromatography would you recomend I research?
Thanks,
Ashleigh(student)

By zelechonok on Sunday, December 7, 2003 - 07:32 am:

If you select liquid chromatography for your project, which is by far the most widely used form of chromatography, you can find all information you need on web site of Y. Kazakevich: Basic LC

http://hplc.chem.shu.edu/NEW/HPLC_Book/index.html

By Chris Pohl on Sunday, December 7, 2003 - 01:50 pm:

The three most widely used forms of chromatography are liquid chromatography, gas chromatography and thin layer chromatography. I would research those although there are a few other less widely used formats.

PS: never mind the "old grouches" who sometimes come down hard on students posting on this site.

By Anonymous on Sunday, December 7, 2003 - 08:28 pm:

Dear zelechonok,
Thanks for the link you included in your post. Liquid chromatography was one type I had decided to research and that site seemed to have a lot of useful information.
Ashleigh :)

By Anonymous on Sunday, December 7, 2003 - 08:34 pm:

Dear Chris,
I am glad you consider those three types of chromatogaphy to be the best to research, because those were the three types I had decided to research!
Thanks,

PS: Thanks for not being an "old grouch" !

By bookoon on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 04:38 am:

HI Ashleigh

i see you have already got your answers.
I fully agree with Chris that LC, GC and TLC are the most popular form of chromatography.

Web sites like that of Agilent, Varian etc. may provide short but very helpfull introductions.

best of luck for your projects. Mail me if you need any further help.

bookoon :-)

By Anonymous on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 08:57 pm:

Thanks for being so nice, bookoon!

By F.BONNEFOI on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 06:58 am:

You try reading "Thin Layer Chromatography".
A very interesting book about TLC edited by E.Stahl (Springer-Verlag)