Ethylene by FID

Basic questions from students; resources for projects and reports.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
I'm trying to sort out how best to quantitate ethylene in air. Most readily available is GC/FID; the crop (carnations) is sensitive to ethylene in single-digit ppb levels.

I don't suppose FID does well with ethylene at those concentrations, does it? If not, what're my options in terms of sample prep etc.?
Single-digit ppb might be tough. Ethylene is not easy to concentrate. You might be able to beat FID detection limits with pulsed-discharge helium-ionization detector. Yours is a tough problem.
osp001,

Challenging. Not a good candidate for HID since air is the matrix and it would have to be very well resolved. Besides, ppb with HID can be very challenging.

Should be a reasonable responder on argon ionization detector (IP = 10.5) but I have not had great luck with it.

Not going to concentrate very will with a very low breakthrough volume.

If you want to try AID let me know (aicmm at flash (dot) net.) Otherwise I would suggest RGD but might not like the chromatography very much.

Best regards,

AICMM
3 posts Page 1 of 1