How could I make my extraction column, tubes, etc ?

Basic questions from students; resources for projects and reports.

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Dear all, please help me for sake of humanity and education world.

I am new to my job and need to get skill in every thing related to chemistry. Now we need to extract:

1- Metals from different environmental samples
2- pesticides from fruit , food

Someone said to me because we don't have any extraction instrument ( SPE, MSPE ETC ) , they said build your extraction by your self ,,,, like take a syringe and fill it with material and do extraction !!!

Could you please illustrate this , do you have video to show me this and other ( Self- designing extraction technique )

Shall I just go and fill any tube with silica Jell , or C18 etc how ?

The person who told me saw someone do it but did not understand it and me also

Thanks
Employ a chemist for sake of humanity and education world.
I do believe that you don't have a good grasp of the complexity of your problem. I'm with Forse. You should staff someone who understands these concepts.
Sorry, but you CANNOT learn analytical chemistry just by watching people do things. You have to understand what is going on. Metals and pesticides need completely different methods of sample prep and analysis.

Whoever is giving you these instructions is putting you in danger.

PLEASE get some proper training before you injure or poison yourself or someone else.

Petere
Peter Apps
Hey guys, please don't just throw things without consideration. Let me ask I know chemistry in a very a dvsnce level ok ,,,, i just want to find out if there is a book or a regulation guideline on how to prepare your extraction self-asembely, likestep one put 100 g of materials in a glass column ,,,, then added this and this etc. now materials is ready to be extraced each one based on different matrix and analyte status , sensitivity etc

So for sake of humanity and education silly world :@: :mrgreen: do you understand this and dhow me if you have seen it. I know you are from companies and sad to see me build mine without buy it from you.

Any way i am very chemist who looking for ( SOP ) procedure on how to build self- extraction design ,,, searched but did not locate it

I understand the concept behind ion exchange , resign , c18 ect and would love to find procedure ( house made )

Best regards
Professor Hetler
Material science- chicken university
Like this one

http://orgchem.colorado.edu/Technique/P ... edure.html

Have you seen, i am looking for for procedure like this above link,,,, not dangerous. And easy to handle. So i know metals and organic working different so i need to collect and design like this for each bunch of compounds, metals etc
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I think that a large part of the problem is that you are not writing in your home language.

"I am new to my job and need to get skill in every thing related to chemistry." Means that you have no skills in chemistry, for someone who has no skills in chemistry to be doing chemistry is likely to be dangerous, and unlikely to generate any useful results.

"Let me ask I know chemistry in a very dvsnce level ok" might mean that you have advanced chemistry skills. Which is more than I can lay claim to.

Peter
Peter Apps
That is called column chromatography. When you pack your bed with your stationary phase, you want to slurry it in your mobile phase and pack it tight (no bubbles). Other than that, you just want to make sure that the packing will perform the separation/extraction you want. It's very much trial and error. You will need to evaluate the performance of your system for yourself.
Would this be helpful

http://www.epa.gov/solidwaste/hazard/te ... /3535a.pdf

It describes solid phase extraction somewhat for pesticides and other semivolatile compounds.

You may also find some information here, one of the people from there posts here quite often.

https://www.unitedchem.com/catalog/samp ... on-columns

For the EPA link above just search "SW846 online" for a list of methods for extraction and analysis of both organic and inorganic analytes.

Also for food and fruit look at the unitedchem link and search for Quechers, it is the technique used often for those analysis now.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
James I feel I can not thank you enough, I think you know how the tiny parts of my brain works so you design the answer to fit it :mrgreen: which is amazing. Thanks thanks indeed my mentor and thanks also for all previous respected scientists ( big flower).
10 posts Page 1 of 1