can I determine carbaryl in waste water by uv-vis spectromet

Basic questions from students; resources for projects and reports.

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi please help me urgent,

I have carbaryl prepared in methanol at different concentration, can I use UV-VIS to measure behaviour in waste water for this compound

so i prepare standards then how many ? is 1-100 mg/L is OK ? then do think to measure the compound in waste water directly?

I am undergraduate doing final year research and they give me only uv-vis and ask me to search what to study , so i think on this

could you show me any experiment procedure ( simillar or idea to follow )

Thanks
Thanks Steve I felt happy with your answer BUT please dear I am not using HPLC as the paper you sent , I will use only UV-VIS

I need to know ( because i know using methanol solvent is ok ) but what about if i want to filter the soil suspension that contain the compound and measure it by UV-VIS

In other word, will UV-VIS ( ALONE NO HPLC here ) said to me nooooooo go a way i don't accept sample of soils extract or waste in general. I feel UV-VIS only required high purity solution to measure not sure.

So in summary:

1- Is it Ok to measure samples of waste water after filtration ( to see what remain in the suspension of aquous solution )?

2- will interference from soil extract affect the signal of UV-VIS?

i FEEL UV-VIS can handle this not sure,,,, please help ( 55 peopel with no answer except one !!!)

Thanks
Unfortunately, carbaryl absorbs UV in a broad band where many other compounds also absorb. A soil extract may have a lot of interferences. or it may not. Depends on the soil.
Wastewater could be clear or it can look like yesterday's coffee.
Carbaryl also breaks down readily to 1-naphthol, which will look the same in UV.
So the answer is; you may be able to see it at that level, but if you have a signal in a sample you wouldn't know if it was carbaryl. You would only be able to say it might be carbaryl. If you had no signal then you would know it wasn't present.

As far as filtering the sample, it would be a very good idea. Look at not just filtering but doing some cleanup by using a C18 cartridge to remove interfering compounds.
Even fluoresence would be more specific than UV detection.
Thanks indeed Steve. One more question please

I have been asked to just use UV-VIS, Do you which project area I can take to do the final year project. Any area where you think that i can do project in it using UV-VIS.

Could you show me papers or pdfs that help. :shock:

Thanks dear really helped me your answer.
What you want to do is called "colorimetry". Do a Google search for "colorimetric assay wastewater" and you will come up with lots of ideas, like this:
http://tinyurl.com/k3ue59l
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
Yesssssssssssssssss Yesssssssssssssssssssssss thats what I am looking for.

Thanks Tom indeed you gave me one million dollar.
7 posts Page 1 of 1