Used HPLC Columns - Are they worth buying?

Basic questions from students; resources for projects and reports.

10 posts Page 1 of 1
I'm new to HPLC, and adding it to my home lab. I'l be using a Waters M45, 484 detector, vacuum/sonicator degas, N2000 CDS, and I need a 4.6x150mm C8 column for the work I have in mind.

All rather inexpensive, until you start looking at new columns... !!!

Are used columns worth buying?

I don't mind gambling a bit, but if the odds are against me...

Thanks in advance!
It all depends on why the used columns were discarded in the first place, and what you want to do with them.

They can range from "completely useless" to "good enough for your purposes".
If you expect to duplicate/confirm results in the future, I would stay away from used columns (it can sometimes be hard to get reproducible results on new columns of the same brand!). If you are just doing "one shot" methods which will only ever be run on that column, then it may be worthwhile.
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
Harpo - if you are in USA and would pay shipping (guessing $30???), we've got several Perkin-Elmer Brownlee 5µ MPLC RP-18 cartridge columns 2.1 x 100mm a nd guard columns, plus a ton of cartridge holders, that I could send you. Some of the columns are brand-new.

Supervisor wanted to validate and move our assays to a more-modern column, was fearful that such columns could be discontinued in the future and leave us high and dry.
KM-USA wrote:
Harpo - if you are in USA and would pay shipping (guessing $30???), we've got several Perkin-Elmer Brownlee 5µ MPLC RP-18 cartridge columns 2.1 x 100mm a nd guard columns, plus a ton of cartridge holders, that I could send you. Some of the columns are brand-new.

Supervisor wanted to validate and move our assays to a more-modern column, was fearful that such columns could be discontinued in the future and leave us high and dry.

Yes, I would definitely be interested! I can't find a PM system on this Forum to send you contact information, let me know your email?

Garry
Garry- this Forum doesn't have a PM function, so you'd need to supply your E-mail address and I could contact you. Like Garry123 at aol dot com
My email is gs at stonermusicinc.com

And no, it's not that kind of music - or science, lol. It's actually my name, see the site for more details.

Thank you, KM-USA - I look forward to hearing from you.
Will ship today to the business address.
Thank you!
10 posts Page 1 of 1