Column care.

Basic questions from students; resources for projects and reports.

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Will you damage a column if you pump hot water through it?

Might be a stupid question don't know
Not stupid. A column can be back flushed with solvents IF the liquid phase is cross linked. Most chromatography supply houses have a "gizmo" to do it. I built my own .
The real question is why do you think you need to rinse your column? Most non volatiles that cause problems get trapped in the first few cm. You can first try snipping off 0.5M
of the column .
pstaunton wrote:
Will you damage a column if you pump hot water through it?

Might be a stupid question don't know

Maybe not stupid, but certainly incomplete. What kind of column ? - Bigbear has assumed GC, I would have guessed HPLC, maybe we are both wrong, in which case the answers probably will be as well. And how hot is hot ?

Peter
Peter Apps
I usually wash out my system with hot water after using salts. In most cases piping hot.
Well...I figure you're talking about HPLC columns. The only thing I can say is that, for sure, piping hot water will dissolve the silica more easily than colder water, but columns are often used at pretty high temps (ca. 90 degrees celsius sometimes), so perhaps you wouldn't have to be overly concerned with causing a great deal of damage during a wash of a column with hot water.
MattM
5 posts Page 1 of 1