Nano Liquid Chromatography

Basic questions from students; resources for projects and reports.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi, rather than me write all of this please visit this link i found http://www.justchromatography.com/hplc/ ... matography
nizamgph wrote:
Hi, I want some basic information on, what is nano Liquid Chromatography? & how it is different form normally used Liquid Chromatography?

It is a fancy way of getting academic funding where the flow rates have been converted to nanoliters/minute for very small diameter columns (usually capillaries) or narrow channels on chips. The main separation concepts remain the same.
M_Farooq wrote:
It is a fancy way of getting academic funding where the flow rates have been converted to nanoliters/minute for very small diameter columns (usually capillaries) or narrow channels on chips. The main separation concepts remain the same.

As M_Rarooq says. I would only add that you have to take extra-column contribution very seriously
HPLC 2017 in Prague, http://hplc2017-prague.org/
I think we're being a tad over-dismissive of it! It's actually pretty much standard practice in a wide range of proteomic labs, where it gives very large sensitivity benefits when you're handling tiny samples. Remember, the signal from electrospray depends on concentration, not total amount of stuff, so if you're working at less than 1uL/min you can get a much higher concentration from a limiting sample than if you're working at 200uL/min.

On the other hand, at 200uL/min a 1uL dead-volume isn't catastrophic. At sub uL/min flow-rates, 1uL is a complete and utter disaster. It's also very hard to spot a leak at this sort of level. It's also difficult to have any length of tubing between column and detector, so very often the column ends in a spray tip straight into a mass spec. It's a weird world where I don't want to go, but I can see why people go there.
4 posts Page 1 of 1