Dilution factor help

Basic questions from students; resources for projects and reports.

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi every one. I am diluting 3 g of meat with 9 mL of water. What dilution factor is that. Should I consider just the 9 mL. And what about if I will add internal standard?
you will have diluted 3 g of meat into 12 g solution - which works if you are working by weight. Volume - you mix 3 g of meat into some volume of solution - which may be close to 12 mL, but will probably be a bit less. Without additional information, it is a guess.

You can ratio the meat to the internal standard - just like you ratio standards to the internal standard.
That's a pretty heterogeneous mixture there. When I work with materials like this (polymers in my game), I try to figure out a way to add the internal standard so that it's as homogeneously distributed in the sample as possible prior to any other treatment (addition of the water in this case). I'm always shooting for a situation where the IS will come out of the sample as the analyte(s) would.

I agree with Don. Treating them by weight/mass is probably the best way to go. Known mass of meat and add enough water to make the total mass known.
Don_Hilton wrote:
you will have diluted 3 g of meat into 12 g solution - which works if you are working by weight. Volume - you mix 3 g of meat into some volume of solution - which may be close to 12 mL, but will probably be a bit less. Without additional information, it is a guess.

You can ratio the meat to the internal standard - just like you ratio standards to the internal standard.

thanks!
[quote="Don_Hilton"]you will have diluted 3 g of meat into 12 g solution - which works if you are working by weight. Volume - you mix 3 g of meat into some volume of solution - which may be close to 12 mL, but will probably be a bit less. Without additional information, it is a guess.

You can ratio the meat to the internal standard - just like you ratio standards to the internal standard.[ Don. My meat sample water content is 80%.Let us say I added 10 ng to 1 g of meat this is a 10 ppb and then I added 3 mL of water, Now what would be the dilution, is it 3 or 4 times??]
The dilution would be 3 parts meat into 12 parts final mixture. (1:4 dilution) It is a 1:3 mixture of meat to dilutent. And for computations, I would track the sample to internal standard ratio. The dilution of the sample into solvent is important for partitioning of analytes and handling of the sample.
6 posts Page 1 of 1