Hplc Training in uk

Basic questions from students; resources for projects and reports.

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

I would like to get some information about Hplc training in uk??
I am a chemistry graduate and looking some training in hplc.

As i haven't got any practical knowledge in Hplc, it is bit difficult for me to apply for any job.
Can anyone advice me, how can i get a job in hplc or any other chromatography field without experience??
What sort of training i need to take?? I have seen Stuart Jones HPLC Academy and they are providing
online hplc foundation course.(http://www.hplccourses.com/documents/Fo ... hureUK.pdf)
Is it good?? If i complete that, can i apply for any job in hplc field.

It would be greatful, if anyone can advice me what should i do to learn more about hplc and find a job in chromatography field.

Thanks

Regards
Asha
Speak to the Royal Society of Chemistry www.rsc.org they do various courses including basic analysis, and can put you in contact with other people as well. A short course will not mean you can operate any instrument but should look good when you apply for a job that you are trying to learn on your own. The theory you can learn in a book, but it is a practical art as well, these are instruments that need to be looked after and maintained. Don't wait to for any training before applying for a job, everyone has to start somewhere, after all.
Where can I buy the kit they use in CSI?
Thank you Johnny for your help and advice..
Hello there!

This isn't directly related to your original query but I thought I'd throw in my two cents all the same.

I found my way into chromatography by chance mostly. I thought I'd put my hard earned masters degree in chemistry to use after a few years of slacking off (but really getting to know myself, obviously). I had great difficulty convincing prospective employers that I wasn't over qualified. If anything I have found having the masters degree more of a hindrance than a help.

Anyhow, I eventually landed a job weighing dirt into jars for an environmental laboratory. It was pretty mind numbing stuff, but I managed to feign a bit of enthusiasm and look like I was really putting the effort in. By the end of the week I was learning how to operate headspace GC and P&T and GCMS.

The point of my little narrative though is to urge you not to focus all your energy on applying specifically for HPLC work. Lab experience of any kind is extremely valuable. What's that saying about baskets and eggs? You especially can't be too picky in the UK at the minute. I returned last year looking for work and found it to be an absolute nightmare. And I had about four years experience, not much but something. I soon came back to Australia.

Good luck
you could also look at Chromacademy, an on-line course that could extend your background knowledge. For bona fide students at Universities, it is now free, I believe; if you are studying from home as an individual, you may be able to persuade Crawford Scientific to offer you the same terms.
dont bother with Crawford training all they want to do is sell more than train i had a course in Kings college and Crawford with Agilent had training and spent more time selling than training once the guy i spoke to realised i had no say in purchasing items he ignored me for the rest of the event it was a waste of my time but the plus side i did meet some users who showed me some tricks in the lab

this was years ago when i was new to the UK so they might have changed how they work but i will never forget
I have known Stuart for over 20 years and he is very experienced in HPLC. I have no idea about his on-line courses but he has been running sucessful practical courses at his offices in the Medway towns for many years. I have also met some of his satisfied customers. :)
Hello,

I attended theoric modules of the Stuart Jones HPLC Academy in 2012 and 2013.
And I was very satisfied.
Moreover i am french and i have an intermediate level in English.

Blanche
8 posts Page 1 of 1