6th grade paper chromatography science fair project

Basic questions from students; resources for projects and reports.

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello, My daugher has chosen to do the simple chromatography science fair project this year. We have conducted the experiements. However I am at a standstill. What types of data can we put together in a chart or graph to present on her board. Please help.......

You could report Rf of each compound you analyzed.

http://orgchem.colorado.edu/hndbksupport/TLC/TLCrf.html

If you used different solvents, you could also compare Rf values of the different solvents.

With the idea fo showing hypothesis, test and conclusion. Make an hypothesis about performing tests with the chromaatography and then demonstrate that you the hypothesis holds or does not hold. For example, can you tell sports dirinks apart by separated colors or do the various companies use pretty much the same die mix? (Given that synthetic dies have to be FDA approved - and there is a limited number of them, it does limit the possibilities, but it may be worh looking at.)

If you are looking at marking pens, is black really black?

Another one that occurred to me while cycling home: you know those felt pens you can buy from toyshops that are safe for toddlers and easy to wash out of clothing? Are they so washable because they use different pigments to normal felt pens, or are they washable because of other ingredients in the pens? The pigments should be easy to look at with simple whatman paper and water chromatography, for both sorts of pen, I'd hope.
icecube wrote:
Hello, My daugher has chosen to do the simple chromatography science fair project this year. We have conducted the experiements. However I am at a standstill. What types of data can we put together in a chart or graph to present on her board. Please help.......

Do a search for chromatography articles at the Journal of Chemical Education website. http://jchemed.chem.wisc.edu/ If you don't have a subscription, you can usually download the article at some place that has a subscription such as a library (university, government, etc.)
i think you could also compare Rf values
@ Samytrump

With respect, I may be wrong but this appears to be an 8 year old post/ thread to which you are replying
Regards

Ralph
7 posts Page 1 of 1