Development beginner Bachelor Thesis

Basic questions from students; resources for projects and reports.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello everyone, I'm starting my Bachelor's thesis in October and I'm a bit nervous. I am developing my first chromatography method and I am a bit overwhelmed with the column selection. My research has shown that RP columns are rather unsuitable for the molecules or require a lot of preparatory work. For "5-Ala", an RP column (C18) remains a rather poor choice. I am working on the method for a company and it is desired to measure all molecules with one method. I may also look into the HILIC method to possibly increase the team knowledge in the field of "polar analytics". The LogD values are below 0 and therefore "actually" suitable for HILIC. A test with C18 and caffeine could help. But I don't want to order unnecessary columns to reduce costs.

I would have ordered the Avantor HILIC-A,B,N columns and started tests with them.
Tomorrow i am going to start the firsts tests with a pentafluorophenyl column.
However, if anyone has some tips, tricks and favourite columns in mind, I would be very grateful for suggestions.

With kind regards
Marvin

The four molecules to be analysed: Image
(https://ibb.co/x5MwpLG)
I'm coming at this from a "get the job done" POV rather than an academic perspective, but my first move would be to call the company that you're buying your columns from and talk to a technical person. And if they don't have good customer service and technical advice, find a different vendor.
Search here for your analytes and see what columns they recommend.

https://www.restek.com/en/pages/chromat ... ?s=type:LC

It may make selection easier.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
3 posts Page 1 of 1