waters hplc with 996 pda without software

Basic questions from students; resources for projects and reports.

14 posts Page 1 of 1
I have acquired a Waters 2795 separations manual with a Waters 996 pda detector. Unfortunately I do not have the Waters Millennium software. Waters has quoted me on the software and it is well out of my budget. I was wondering if there was any other way to acquire data from the pda without using Waters proprietary software. Any help is greatly appreciated.

There are other software manufacturers that claim to interface and control the Waters 996 PDA. They may not be as expensive as Waters; but, I don't know that their software is as good as Waters brand. I would definitely insist on an onsite demo computer to assure that the software interfaces the way you expect.

Can you name some? Thanks for your help.
Probably too late, but I do have a WATERS computer loaded with Empower , tested. ready to go for $ 7500.00.
Your other choices are to use a straight variable wavelength detector like a Waters 2487, and all you will need is software top collect data, like a CLARITY package for under $3500.00
Tony Vella , 8586637051, www.HPLCworks.net

Trailriderdan wrote:
I have acquired a Waters 2795 separations manual with a Waters 996 pda detector. Unfortunately I do not have the Waters Millennium software. Waters has quoted me on the software and it is well out of my budget. I was wondering if there was any other way to acquire data from the pda without using Waters proprietary software. Any help is greatly appreciated.
C.Tony Vella Royal British Legion
WWW.HPLCworks.net
858.663 751
Arte et Marte

Code: Select all

Can you name some? Thanks for your help.

Agilent, Shimadzu, Dionex are three that come to mind. A google search will turn up others (look for "chromatography data system"). Which (if any) will actually work with your detector is an open question. All of them will likely be about the same order of magnitude cost-wise.
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
If memory serves, the 996 uses IEEE cable only for data and control i/o functions. You will need a BUS-LAC/E board mounted in a computer as well as appropriate software to use it.
Thanks,
DR
It will run under both MILLENIUM 32 bit and under Empower

DR wrote:
If memory serves, the 996 uses IEEE cable only for data and control i/o functions. You will need a BUS-LAC/E board mounted in a computer as well as appropriate software to use it.
C.Tony Vella Royal British Legion
WWW.HPLCworks.net
858.663 751
Arte et Marte
remesquaddie wrote:

And Empower 2 but NOT Empower 3

- Karen
Karen01 wrote:
remesquaddie wrote:

And Empower 2 but NOT Empower 3

- Karen

But, I am informed (but have not tested this) that the 996 can be upgraded with a new PCB to act as a 2996 which is supported in Empower.
Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Yes. I had a 996 upgraded to a 2996. Cost about $3,000; but, this is far less than a new PDA.
Hi, I have a similar problem: I have on an old WIN 2k PC EMpower. I also have the Key disk of Millenium 32 and the CD of Empower and the Upgrade Package to Empower 2. ANd the PDA 996 with the BusLace PCI Card. Now I would like to migrate this to a new PC with WIN 7 32 bit. As Empower is also working on XP I think it could work on WIN 7 32 bit (with XP Cmpatibility Checkbox checked).

But I missing the EMpower key disk. Is it possible to use the Millenium Key disk to migrate to the new WIn 7 PC? I do not know if on the old System there was originately the Millenium 32 SW installed and then upgraded to EMPOWER. Can anyone here help me in my task to migrate to the new system, so that the PDA 996 with its BUSLACE PCI Card will work again? Thanks
Walter
... This doesn't help you, but it's worth thinking about: It's getting harder and harder to deal with Waters key diskettes. If you get your system installed and working, take a ghost image so you can recreate it after a hard-disk failure. Better still, take a ghost image, then uninstall using the key diskettes so you've restored them to the "ready to install" state, and then restore your ghost image. This tests that the ghost installation works, and also gives you a set of key diskettes ready for future installation if you need to use them (when you find that the ghost image, for some obscure reason, doesn't work any more following a hard-disk failure).
My first PDA was a 996 and i got it working by hooking it up to a chromeleon 6.8 with a NI-GPIB card. A PCI-GPIB card costs you around 100 € on eBay + a few bucks for the cable....BUT unfortunately the 6.8 Chromeleon is more costly...
Hi there
May i know exact PN of the NI GPIB along with picture which you mentioned.
I have the Chromleon software 6.8
Thanking in advance
14 posts Page 1 of 1