types of chromatogram

Basic questions from students; resources for projects and reports.

15 posts Page 1 of 1
I am sha. New members here.

I would like to ask how many types of chromatograms? Is there any example so that I can clearly understand about the chromatograms is all about.
sha

You can find links to a number of tutorials here:

http://www.lcresources.com/resources/reslinks.html

These should give you the information you need.
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374

Thanks Tom.

How about the chromatogram comparison?
How many existing tools you knew that's practical for compare the chromatograms?

kindly share the information.
TQ
sha

Sha,

Can you be more clear about this? In the beginning I thought that you were just seeking the different types of chromatography (i.e. reversed phase, normal phase, ion-exchange etc).

But you insist on the term chromatogram... Do you mean something like a data analysis tool that will help you integrate your peak areas and quantify your compounds or something that can overlay your chromatograms for a visual examination of the repetability/reproducibility or something else?

Yes Kostas,

Actually I'm a bit blurred about the chromatograms word.
I cannot differentiate it with chromatography. That's why my 1st question is how many types of chromatogram?

Then, now I'm searching for existing tools for compare the chromatogram
like you said, comparing the peak (heights/areas). So far I got is QuickReview.

TQ
sha

Sha,

All the major HPLC companies (Agilent, Waters, Dionex etc) provides such software that you can do what you asked and more...

However, there are maybe compatibility issues (data importing) with your actual data mining software...

Several year ago I used a software called EZChrom (if I remember well the name) for data mining, integration etc. I think that the above software has evolved and I do not know it's current status...

Kostas,

TQ for that info.
Erm, what do you think about --> Currently I'm doing research on DNA sequence chromatograms comparison that is automated analysis. But I have to do some comparison between others sample data such as metabolite. Do you have any idea what else should i compare with? As for HPLC - what data. For gas, what data?..

realy appreciated if you share the idea.
thanks
sha

Sha,

We started from a very simple question and ended with an extremely complicated one. Your question is still very vague but I will try to answer it anyway...

So you do automatic DNA sequence analysis so the information that you might have from it is which hypothetical proteins this organism can produce. So you could analyse proteins by LC-MS-(MS) and try to quantify them (pretty complicated). You could try to quantify them as intact ones or digest them with trypsin analyse the peptides and then try to extrapolate to the original proteins. Then several of these proteins can be enzymes which can catalyse the production of small molecules or they can participate in their production in an indirect way. These metabolites can be volatile or not, you can try to identify and quantify the volatile ones by GC-MS and the non-volatile by HPLC-MS.

Then you will need clustering programs that you would be able to enter all your data and find correlations between them in terms of up and down-regulations... For everything I mentioned above, there are hidden problems of course but this is the oversimplified version...

In general all the above are quite difficult and there are several of milions of dollars spend each year on this to make it more possible/comprehensive...

Does the above replies your question or did I misunderstand your question?

Really appreciated.

Thanks. I got cleared idea for DNA - GC technique

How about LC and LTC?
what is the example materials for both of that techniques?
sha

Hmmm...! :shock: :?

I think I replied your question, including the use of LC (HPLC=LC). What do you mean by LTC (maybe TLC)?

And do you still referring to the DNA analysis or are you asking in general about example materials for these techniques?

:oops:
yeah...TLC.

Just forget a while for DNA.
Others Example (materials) for LC and TLC (from your opinion) ;)

Thanks Kostas
sha

Well...

Virtually you can separate anything non-volatile with LC. Inorganic or organic, small or big (polymers), hydrophilic or hydrophobic, you can always find some condition that you can retain it and hopefully achieve good peak shapes (there are some difficult ones).

Of course retaining one compound is one thing, detecting is another, separating and detecting from other compounds of interest is another and separating and detecting a number of compounds of interest from a lot that you are not interested (matrix) still another...

TLC I would say about the same like LC but with more limitations...

Clear. TQ

FYI, I come from computer science background. Just involved with bioinformatics then currently doing research project for chromatograms comparison. So I've choosing to do a chromatogram comparison for DNA sequence.

I have to write programming to make it automate comparison for CHROMATOGRAMS. So far, I found existing tools quite many. Such as Chrompare implemented in MS Excel.

In the research paper, I have to write up about the comparison with other sample data such as rough rice grown (metabolite profiling) and so forth.

Mayb that's the reason u catch me..Blurred!

If you have any suggestion on this, welcome.
sha

It makes sense now... maybe you should have mentioned it earlier what was the reason you were searching such information...

Anyway, good luck with your project and try not to reinvent the weel :wink: . I am maybe not the best person to tell you what have been already developed in that field but there are some staff. By the way, as you speak about metabolite profiling what is the type of detection you are using? Are you going to use mass spectrometry data or something else?

:wink: what's that..mass spect..
doesn't matter.

Tools for automated chromatogram matching & comparison were developed by T frenzel and the others. Capillary GC performed on the materials ( rough rice ).

You can find it from
http://www.wzw.tum.de/blm/alt/
sha
15 posts Page 1 of 1