RP-HPLC

Basic questions from students; resources for projects and reports.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
"Are there any trends in your results for the column efficiencies for the different solutes? If so, can you give an explanation for the trend?"

Can anyone advise any trends I should expect to see? There don't seem to be any.
Using a C18 column, length 10cm, particle size 5um, in order of elution:
Acetophenone N = 14487.25
Nitrobenzene N = 12284.84
Benzene: N = 10199.54
Toluene: N = 15198.56

Thanks in advance!
Is this a homework question? 'Column efficiency' is dependent on many parameters. For example, the METHOD USED (not provided), the peak shape observed, Detection method and settings used, Injection method/solution, column type, particle type and size, surface chemistry, system dispersion present, std used to characterize it ....
Yes it is, I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding the terminology or something. The only thing that changes is the solute, all other parameters stay the same. The number of theoretical plates was calculated using the half height method if that is of any relevance?
Multidimensional wrote:
Is this a homework question? 'Column efficiency' is dependent on many parameters. For example, the METHOD USED (not provided), the peak shape observed, Detection method and settings used, Injection method/solution, column type, particle type and size, surface chemistry, system dispersion present, std used to characterize it ....
3 posts Page 1 of 1