Can I read peak resolution from two different chromatograms?

Basic questions from students; resources for projects and reports.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi!
I have a question about HPLC chromatograms. I got two chromatograms, each one with different signal/wavelength (290nm and 325nm) and I got two peaks of compounds that I wanted to analyze, but the peaks are not on the same chromatogram. My question is, can I read peak resolution of two peaks from two different chromatograms, or not? It doesn’t make any sense for me, but it's in my instruction. I can’t find any information about that. I would be most grateful if you would look into this matter. :)
No reason why not.

You know the definition of resolution, right? If your "two chromatograms" were run at the same time (i.e., a single injection monitored at two wavelengths simultaneously), just measure the retention time and width of each peak and plug them into the calculation.

If your "two chromatograms" are actually from separate runs, you can do the same thing, but the results may be unreliable because of the possibility that conditions might not have been *exactly* the same in the two runs.
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
tom jupille wrote:
No reason why not.

You know the definition of resolution, right? If your "two chromatograms" were run at the same time (i.e., a single injection monitored at two wavelengths simultaneously, just measure the retention time and width of each peak and plug them into the calculation.

If your "two chromatograms" are actually from separate runs, you can do the same thing, but the results may be unreliable because of the possibility that conditions might not have been *exactly* the same in the two runs.

Thank you so much! Now I understand everything. I wasn't sure because HPLC is a new method for me.
3 posts Page 1 of 1