In need of a computer that can control an HP1050 HPLC

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

9 posts Page 1 of 1
The computer controlling our HP1050 died. I am trying to find ways of getting the HPLC back in operation.

This is a shot in the dark, but does anyone have an old computer running an OS that is compatible with ChemStation A.10.02, and with a GPIB controller board that will work with an HP1050?

Thanks
82341 is the ISA GPIB which would work with A.10
maybe even 82350 PCI GPIB which can mimic as 82341. This definitely would work under WinXP
I'd install WIN XP on typical cheap PC and buy USB-GPIB adapter.
I installed few 1050/1100 LC and CE with A10.02 and all worked ok.

Regards

Tomasz Kubowicz
Thanks for the responses. Tomasz, I am currently trying to get an 82357B USB/GPIB adapter working, but I am having some problems. I posted this issue as a separate thread, but here's the situation in case you have some insight:

I am trying to use an Agilent 82357B USB/GPIB adapter to connect a desktop PC running WinXP SP3 with an old HP1050. ChemStation A.10.02 is installed on the computer. The IO library on the ChemStation installation disc is version L.02.01. After installing the L.02.01 IO library, and rebooting the computer with the 82357B connected, the computer cannot automatically find the driver, and the "Found New Hardware Wizard" pops up. The instructions that accompany the L.02.01 IO library state that I should install from a list or specific location, and that I should choose the driver to install myself. The problem is that the driver that was presumably installed along with the L.02.01 IO library is not recognized by the wizard and the 82357B does not show up as a device, so I cannot install it manually. The road ends there with L.02.01. However, when I install later versions of the IO libraries (v. 14, 15, 16) the hardware wizard automatically finds the relevant drivers and installs the adapter, and after proper configuration of the adapter (i.e. set card to hp82341, bus address = 30, etc.) and assigning the proper GPIB addresses to the HPLC modules in the ChemStation configuration editor, I get some communication between the computer and the HPLC machine but the system doesn't fully initialize - the autosampler begins initializing when I run ChemStation but then everything stalls without completing initialization, and the software gives me an ALS not found error (...which is odd, because it initialized). It's not clear to me that A.10.02 can even work with these later IO library versions, so it would be nice to try the L.02.01 version if I could just get the hardware installed. This HPLC was working perfectly a month ago before the computer died, and the modules are properly connected via daisy-chained HPIB cables and remote cables.

Any thoughts here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I am trying to get chemstation working on a virtual machine (windows XP SP3/Windows 2000 SP4) in windows 10 with an HP 1050 DAD. The software goes as the following: chemstation 10.02, 82357A, L02.01. It finds the DAD when I search from the VISA instrument panel and I configured the right address and named the SICIL hp82341 and bus address 30. When chemstation starts I see the DAD say initiation but then chemstation says it can't find the DAD. Any help would be appreciated.
Just curious - If 1050 compatible with 1100 in command set?

Our UniChrom has 1100 driver that connects and enumerates 1100 instruments.
Data link layers built-in: RS-232, GPIB, socket.
Indeed it works under all windozes and linuxes 32/64 bit.
Unfortunately the driver is not finished - no machines to test with.

If you have time to play - you can download and test. www.unichrom.com/dle.php
The comm port name in GPIB/SICL case should be
gpib:hp82341,30
or maybe even plain hp82341,30

Most interesting thing - the logs of node enumeration.
So I could get the software Chemstation A10.02 working on Windows XP with an Agilent GPIB card and communicate with the HP1050. The USB to GPIB (82357A) doesn't work even when not on a virtual machine. Unless I have to modify the .ini file in some weird way to get it to talk. Do you think your software can communicate oven USB to GPIB?
jbinksi wrote:
Do you think your software can communicate oven USB to GPIB?

We talk with HPIB over SICL interface. Should work.
Actually now we have 2 IEEE.488 datalink layer on Windows:
* SICL - using sicl32.dll from Agilent IOLIBS
Port specification: sicl:hp82357,30
* GPIB from National Instruments
Port specification: gpib:gpib0:30
Having run similar configurations over the years, there are two things I've found.

One is that the IO version can matter. For the same hardware, one version (older) of IO Libs works and another, newer version does not. I've tested that by leaving the hardware installed and only installing/uninstalling IO Libs. IO Libs identifying the instrument doesn't usually matter.

The second is that I've had better luck with the 82357B. There have been cases where the B has worked and the A has not. Tested by just swapping the hardware. That's with a known working A revision. I think the A was obsoleted in later revisions of IO which may be the reason it didn't work in my case.
9 posts Page 1 of 1