HPLC AGILENT/HP 1050 with PCI or USB

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

14 posts Page 1 of 1
We have a HPLC Agilent/HP 1050. Our computer is dying. We have a chemstation A.06.03.

I would like to know if anybody is using an HPLC Agilent/HP 1050 with a PCI computer or USB.

Which interface are you using?

Any experience with 82350B or 82357B or other interface?

Which Chemstation are you using?

Kindly regards,

We use HP1050 system on a Pentium 2 computer, with either 82341 or 82350 HPIB/GPIB interface. We use Chemstation 6.03 with those units, but I think we had to load a higher version of ChemStation to set up the board (set as hp82341 even if it's 82350, and make bus address = 30), then replaced with A.06.03. We'd use A.09 if we could legally, to match our 1100 systems.

The computer has Windows 2000, so can utilize USB connections, flash drives, etc. As to whether the computer is PCI, I don't know enough about computers (like I don't even know what that bus address = 30 means or does, just know it's necessary).

We've got Dell Dimension computers, believe Pentium 3 and Pentium 4, running HP1100 systems which also can take those same HPIB/GPIB boards. Those run windows 2000 and A.09.

Officially, HP ChemStation Revision A.06.03 does not support the 82350B HPIB board. It does support the earlier 82350A HPIB board using 'H' drivers. Support for the 'B' revision board started with revision A.09.00 of ChemStation. I did set up a system under ChemStation Rev A.08.03 with the 82350B card and had it working just fine, but had to try several versions of the library files before I found one that worked.

*All 82350's are configured as an 82341 HPIB boards in the setup menu (don't ask why). This is the only PCI based card for the A.06 version.

The 82357A (USB 1) and 82357B (USB 2.0) USB to GPIB interfaces may be an option for you. I have never tried to use them with such an early version of ChemStation (we have one running a 1090 and 1050 though using ChemStation A.10.02). Considering the low price of the USB to HPIB converter, relative to the HPIB board, it may be worth looking into as it would allow you to use a modern computer to run the system (no issues with finding ISA or PCI slots). Let us know if it works...

Thank you for your advice. We have bought a 82350B and a license Chemstation A09.03.
Although it did not work with the software suggested by Agilent for this interface with this Chemstation it finally worked with another software for the 82350B.

Thank you HPLCCONSULT and CGP
Good tips here.

Anyone have experience using A.09.01 in windows XP? Officially it only goes to Windows 2000, but for network security requirements (biometrics) we have to use XP...

The configuration is as follows:

Chemstation A.09.01
GPIB (HPIB) 82350A (PCI)
HPLC 1050 modular

I've tried to get the 1050 to come online several times. The only time it will initialize is durring "autoconfig" using Agilent IO Libraries 16.1. Any of the previous revisions doesn't seem to respond, but it doesn't seem like 16.1 really recognizes the 1050. When I run an *ident it just comes back with garbage. I've set the config for Chemstation to the correct GPIB address numbers, tried using a previous version of IO libraries (tried H and L). I have another system with a 1050 arrangement that works, brought the computer tower down and hooked it up, everything came online, so I know the 1050 works, but this computer is running Windows2000, which is supported.

Anyone have an XP system using chemstation A.09.01 using a 1050? Any tips?

Re:

HPLCCONSULT wrote:
Officially, HP ChemStation Revision A.06.03 does not support the 82350B HPIB board. It does support the earlier 82350A HPIB board using 'H' drivers. Support for the 'B' revision board started with revision A.09.00 of ChemStation. I did set up a system under ChemStation Rev A.08.03 with the 82350B card and had it working just fine, but had to try several versions of the library files before I found one that worked.

*All 82350's are configured as an 82341 HPIB boards in the setup menu (don't ask why). This is the only PCI based card for the A.06 version.

The 82357A (USB 1) and 82357B (USB 2.0) USB to GPIB interfaces may be an option for you. I have never tried to use them with such an early version of ChemStation (we have one running a 1090 and 1050 though using ChemStation A.10.02). Considering the low price of the USB to HPIB converter, relative to the HPIB board, it may be worth looking into as it would allow you to use a modern computer to run the system (no issues with finding ISA or PCI slots). Let us know if it works...

Hello,
I know this is an old thread, but i'm interested in how you are able to get the Agilent 1050LC to work with 82357B (usb to GPIB cable)? I have installed Chemstation A.10.02 on XP and installed the agilent I/O libraries V 16, But chemstation is unable to communicate with the LC modules,
In Chemstation configuration i can only select HP82341 as the GPIB card.
Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
I've never used that USB thing, but with either the 82341 or 82350 GPIB boards, one types in hp82341 and sets the bus address to 30.
KM-USA wrote:
I've never used that USB thing, but with either the 82341 or 82350 GPIB boards, one types in hp82341 and sets the bus address to 30.

seems that 82350A boards are obsolete but 82350B boards are still available, would that work? Also where do i change the bus address?

EDIT: Ok I've figured out how to change the bus address, I'll give that a shot with the USB-GPIB cable, that might just do the trick, I will post back to update.

Thank you
KM-USA wrote:

I forgot to state that I know in hp82341 that the "hp" must be in small letters, and the only thing I know about bus address is that 30 works, and that bus address - and where our city buses go at night - are not related.
KM-USA wrote:

I was able to get the detector to communicate with the chemstation using the 82357B cable but I didnt have any success with the autosampler and pump. Though they did initialize.
In Configuration Editor, does each 1050 module have its correct GPIB address? 1050 stack is not like an 1100 stack, for which only one address is needed.
Consumer Products Guy wrote:
In Configuration Editor, does each 1050 module have its correct GPIB address? 1050 stack is not like an 1100 stack, for which only one address is needed.

I think so since they are initializing.
Has anyone found a workaround/resolution for this? We have a 1050 system and got an 82357B USB/GPIB interface with v16.3 IOLIBs. All installed OK. When the 1050 system is plugged in it seems to find the instruments OK at the addresses expected (although in the instrument list there seem to be multiple instruments at "subaddresses" e.g. GPIB0:16:0, GPIB0:16:1 etc

I edited the gpib information so the card is hp82341 and address is 30

Then in Chemstation, I added in the instruments and the correct GPIB addresses

When you then run Chemstation, it appears to initialize instruments as indicated on the instrument display panel (although this is not consistent. Sometimes it initialises all three and sometimes not) but wont go any further and just sits there with the software saying "initialising"

Any pointers would be appreciated as I feel I am nearly there and there is a minor comms error to solve.

Thanks

Jonathan
I realize this is an old thread, but I was wondering if these problems have been solved??

Here's my situation:
I am trying to use an Agilent 82357B USB/GPIB adapter to connect a desktop PC running Windows XP SP3 with a HP1050 HPLC. I am using ChemStation version A.10.02. The IO library that comes with this version of ChemStation is version L.02.01. After installing the L.02.01 IO library, and rebooting the computer with the 82357B connected, the computer cannot automatically find the driver, and the "Found New Hardware Wizard" pops up. The instructions that accompany the L.02.01 IO library state that I should install from a list or specific location, and to choose the driver to install myself. The problem is that the driver that was presumably installed along with the L.02.01 IO library is not recognized by the wizard and the 82357B does not show up as a device. When I install later versions of the IO libraries (i.e. v. 15 and later) the hardware wizard automatically finds the relevant drivers and installs the adapter, and after proper configuration I get some communication between the computer and the HPLC, i.e. the autosampler begins initializing when I run the ChemStation software, but then everything stalls without completing initialization and I get an error message that the ALS cannot be found.

Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks.
14 posts Page 1 of 1