Chemstation E.02.01.1177 hangs after tune/vacuum view

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Hardware is a GC-MS 6890N / 5973inert / Standard Turbo / 8260 P&T volatiles / Helium carrier. It was originally purchased with fastscan sideboard and hardware. We upgraded to the larger diameter draw out lens.

I've been running this system since 2004 on Chemstation ver D.01... I need SIM/Scan mode in the near future. So I've upgraded to Chemstation E.02.01.1177 and I've been running with it since about mid November 2018.

The problem: About every 4th time I switch to tune and vacuum view to do a quicktune the application hangs when I switch back to instrument control. The only two menu choices are "Abort" and "Exit". Only "Exit" does anything. Then I have to restart Chemstation.

1) Is this a common problem for Chemstation ver E?

2) Could this be because I have to use Bootp to run Chemstation?

I should add that I need to use Bootp because my SmartCard3 has a burnt out data cable connection at the card; so I cannot use the keypad and screen to set the communications for the 5973 inert MS.

Finally, a grump. I really hate how they added icons for everything and especially how they integrated the sequence editor into the application.
LALman wrote:
Hardware is a GC-MS 6890N / 5973inert / Standard Turbo / 8260 P&T volatiles / Helium carrier. It was originally purchased with fastscan sideboard and hardware. We upgraded to the larger diameter draw out lens.

I've been running this system since 2004 on Chemstation ver D.01... I need SIM/Scan mode in the near future. So I've upgraded to Chemstation E.02.01.1177 and I've been running with it since about mid November 2018.

The problem: About every 4th time I switch to tune and vacuum view to do a quicktune the application hangs when I switch back to instrument control. The only two menu choices are "Abort" and "Exit". Only "Exit" does anything. Then I have to restart Chemstation.

1) Is this a common problem for Chemstation ver E?

2) Could this be because I have to use Bootp to run Chemstation?

I should add that I need to use Bootp because my SmartCard3 has a burnt out data cable connection at the card; so I cannot use the keypad and screen to set the communications for the 5973 inert MS.

Finally, a grump. I really hate how they added icons for everything and especially how they integrated the sequence editor into the application.

I have experienced this also with the same version of MSDChemstation. One way I have gotten around it when just checking a tune or using manual tune to check for a leak is to use the Instrument menu from the Instrument control view and use Edit Tune Parameters menu item, it will open the smaller manual tune window without switching the main view. You won't get the full Tune list of commands but you can do manual tune and checks that way without getting the random lock up.

I think the lockup happens when switching view and the TOP Menu macro misfires, because in that is where the menu items are listed, if I remember correctly. The layout of the views are controlled by macros mostly, with some items being hard coded into the exe files. Makes it difficult to troubleshoot when something like that happens.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
Thank you! Its good to know its a common problem and not a corrupted installation.
3 posts Page 1 of 1