The Limits tab Empower 3

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
I have an amount value that needs to be between 90-110 (ie whole numbers) so when im setting up Limits in the processing method, I tested a Lower Limit value of 90 and it gave a fault value for 89.99999987666 which I thought would have been ok since that number rounds to 90 when expressed as an integer. Empower obviously considers a value of 89.99999987666 as below 90 which actually makes sense as Empower always uses full values in the background for all its calculations.

My question is what value do I put in then for the Lower and Upper Limits to correctly fault any values outside of 90-110? I presume for the lower limit it would be 89.5 as this value is rounded to 90 at zero decimal places. For the upper limit I also presume the value would be 110.49999999999999 since that's the highest maximum allowable value before 111 i.e 110.5 onwards?

Any thoughts on this please?
Hi,

This depends on what you state in your SOPs and TMs (sig figs / reporting precision), but if you don't want it flagged then you will have to do the following:

Lower_Limit= 89.95
Upper_Limit=110.05

The 89.5 and 110.5 are too far outside the spec.
Hi and thanks for reply.

An upper limit of 110.05 would flag a value of 110.3 when techincally 110.3 rounds to 110 as a whole number. Wouldnt 110.5 be better as this would flag any value of 110.5 (111 as a whole number) onwards?
3 posts Page 1 of 1