I am a research student working on an Agilent 1260 HPLC. This instrument itself is new to me however I have had experience on other HPLC and UPLC machines in the past although brief and not in depth.

I am looking for a way to specify a "shutdown" method that doesn't turn off any instruments or stop the flow. My main concern is reducing flow for inactive periods to save on solution. Stopping the flow is an issue since we are running a high salt solution that might precipitate if left with no flow. This I assume, rules out the use of pre-made shutdown or standby macro.

Currently I have created a method with an injection of 0ul and specified the injector stoptime as "no limit/as pump". the pump method has been specified to start at time 0 to have a flow of 0.1ml/min (and also specified the stoptime as injector/no limit)

I then placed this 0ul injection "sample" at the end of the sequence table which contains 4 sample runs of 5 hours each (300 min specified both in the injector method and pump method)

is there an easier or less convoluted way to achieve the same results? My main overall goal is to be able to call on a method after samples have finished to reduce the flow for the remainder of the night until we return in the morning