Empower 2 to waters 2487 detector problem

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Good day all,

Currently I'm trying to get a Waters Alliance HT machine back online after it has not been used for over a year. The system was working as intended before this. The system consists of a 2795 separation module, a column heater, a 2996 photodiode array detector and a 2487 dual wavelength absorbance detector, and the entire system is controlled by Empower 2 software.

The separation module and column heater are working. The dual wavelength detector was displaying a critical error, but after a battery change and a manual recalibration, it powered on as normal again.

However, when I try to load a method involving the dual wavelength detector to the machine with Empower 2, I receive a system failure error. The seperation module is fine; when the software tells the separation module to initiate a new method, it sets the correct parameters and starts the flow. The PDA detector connected to the same system, is also being controlled as it should (i.e., I am able to monitor the baseline from the software with a method involving the PDA detector). But the dual wavelength detector cannot be changed to the correct wavelength I want to measure via the software. I can do it manually, but then the system still fails to initiate the method in the detector leading to the system not displaying anything (e.g. baseline monitoring), even though flow to the detector is fine. In the software system configure screen, it shows the dual wavelength detector as being online and all the cables are connected properly. The dual wavelength detector is set for measuring single wavelengths and the IEEE-address is at the default setting of 4.

I have tried:
- full reboot of computers, equipment and software
- taking the PDA detector offline
- connecting the dual wavelength detector with a different LACE cable that I know works
But so far nothing has got the system working and I am running out of ideas.

There is no one in the department that really knows how this machine works so any help you can give me is much appreciated!

Sincerely,
Dyarte
Hi

my guesses:

- Does the 2487 show its serial number under the node properties?
-- if not, maybe set it there manually
-- if this doesn't help, maybe you need to set it directly in the EPROM of the 2487 (maybe it can be check on the screen of the 2487 if the SN is still set?)
--- guess it can be done by a telnet session to the detector but for the exact procedure contact Waters

- Do you have the actual firmware and ICOS installed for the 2487 and Empower2?
-- maybe the firmware on the 2487 got corrupted during the battery exchange
-- the driver packs can be downloaded at Waters.com, latest one is DP2017R2
--- maybe you need to check the release notes which one is suitable for Empower2
--- installation then is quite easy, but make sure to first stop the "WatersEmailService" and "WatersICSCompanionService" from the Windows TaskMgr
--- then run the setup programm "as admin"
--- normally we uninstall the existing drivers, reboot, stop services again, run setup, install new drivers (keep the instruments powered on)
---- after the drivers, it should also check for firmware updates and let you install them
---- reboot, everything
If your detectors, column heaters connect with a mix of IEE,serial, and ethernet, there is most likely a "boot" up order that MUST be followed.
For my carbamate system, to start I must have everything off, then start all the serial connection instruments and wait at least 5 min. Then re boot the computer and log in to the OS only. Then I need to start my 2475 and 2695 and wait until they display idle. Then I can log in to Empower.
3 posts Page 1 of 1